This position is located in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Office of the Commissioner (OC), Office of External Affairs (OEA), Office of Media Affairs (OMA), Silver Spring, Maryland.Learn more about this agency
The candidate must have excellent media relations, project management and leadership skills to provide expert advice and guidance on all aspects of communications to subject matter experts, principals, and other agency officials.
- If selected for this position, you will:
- Arrange press conferences, media briefings, media availabilities, interviews and other news events.
- Provide media relations advice to agency officials and advise senior FDA officials about newsworthy and controversial issues.
- Facilitate media interviews with agency senior officials and provide guidance to interview subjects on advisable conduct during media contacts.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the news media and other external stakeholders by providing timely and accurate information.
- Respond to questions and/or criticism from members of the news media concerning sensitive and complex policies.
- Independently initiate, create, write and edit materials, including news releases, about complicated public health and scientific subjects directed towards journalists and lay audiences; choose language appropriate for target audience(s).
- Consult with photographers, illustrators, and audio-visual personnel to use photographs, illustrations, animation, video and/or sound files to help explain scientific concepts covered in written material.
- Use new media/social networking tools to communicate to lay audiences about FDA programs, actions and accomplishments.
- Staff FDA officials and serve as the point of contact for news media at advisory committee meetings, workshops and Congressional hearings.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/512118800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.