U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

What types of documents might I need to provide?

Job announcements will indicate the need to supply one or more of these types of documents in the How to Apply section.


Cover letter

A cover letter may be included if there is additional information you wish to express to the hiring authorities that is outside of what is normally included in a resume.


A transcript is a copy of your permanent academic record from a high school or college. To get a copy, contact the high school and/or college registrar office for instructions. Refer to the job announcement for specific instructions on which transcripts, if any, should be included.


If there are other additional documents that you wish to pass to hiring authorities, you can attach them under this document type. In addition, some jobs may require specific documents outside of this list such as writing samples, which can be attached using the type of “other”.

Senior Executives

Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)

Applicants to SES positions must demonstrate they possess Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) when applying. The ECQs define the competencies needed to build a federal corporate culture that drives for results, serves customers, and builds successful teams and coalitions within and outside the organization. The ECQs are required for entry to the SES and are used by many departments and agencies in selection, performance management, and leadership development for executive positions.

Federal employees


The OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment is used to determine your acceptability for Federal and Federal contract employment and your enrollment status in the Government’s Life Insurance program. You may be asked to complete this form at any time during the hiring process. Follow instructions that the agency provides. If you are selected, before you are appointed you will be asked to update your responses on this form and on other materials submitted during the application process and then to re-certify that your answers are true.


The SF-50 is a notification of a Personnel Action. It contains your series, grade, and other information useful to you or required if applying for reinstatement. Used by current and former federal employees. Learn how to obtain a copy of your SF-50.



The DD-214, “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”, is issued to military members upon separation from active service. It contains information about the veteran’s dates of military service and separation. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 Report of Separation and other military and medical records through the National Archives Veterans’ Records Service.


The SF-15 “Application for 10-point Veterans’ Preference” is used by Federal agencies and OPM examining offices to adjudicate individuals’ claims for veterans’ preference.

Additional resources

  • Contact us

    Please use the form below to contact us. We will get back to you within one business day. Your interest and patience are appreciated.

    The USAJOBS Support Desk is available Monday through Friday, 7am – 8pm EST; Saturday and Sunday, 8am – 4pm EST (excluding federal holidays). USAJOBS does not provide direct phone support. The form below will allow you to send an email to the Help Desk where you can request assistance by phone or email.

    All fields are required unless otherwise noted

    Please provide your phone number in case your issue cannot be resolved via email.

    Please do not include your Social Security Number.

    (2000 characters remaining)