The Federal Government hires each person using a hiring authority (the term comes from the Federal regulation that describes it). Federal agencies can use the Schedule A Hiring Authority to hire an individual with a disability.
Selective Placement Program Coordinator (SPPC)
Selective Placement Program Coordinators (SPPC) help agencies recruit, hire, and accommodate people with disabilities. The SPPC can guide you through the application process and answer questions. Most federal agencies, but not all, have an SPPC or equivalent role, such as a Special Emphasis Program Manager.
If you are a person with a disability and interested in a job opportunity, contact the agency SPPC using the Selected Placement Program Coordinator directory .
Accommodating individuals with a disability
Federal agencies are required by law to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities, unless doing so will result in undue hardship to the agency. The accommodations make it easier for an employee, with a disability, to successfully perform the duties of the position. For example, an agency may offer:
- Interpreters, readers, or other personal assistance
- Modified position duties
- Flexible work schedules or work sites
- Accessible technology or other workplace adaptive equipment
You can request reasonable accommodations any time during the hiring process or at any time while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
To request a reasonable accommodation:
- Look at the job posting for instructions on requesting a reasonable accommodation.
- Work directly with the person arranging the interviews.
- Contact the agency SPPC.
- Request a reasonable accommodation verbally or in writing; no special language is needed.
- ABCs of Schedule A (EEOC)
- Disability employment (OPM)
- Hiring options for veterans with disabilities (FedsHireVets)
- OPM Chief Human Capital Officers' Shared List of People with Disabilities (OPM)
- Reasonable accommodations (OPM)
- Selected Placement Program Coordinator directory (OPM)
- Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP)