Veterans' preference

With veterans’ preference, you may receive preference over non-veteran applicants in the hiring process. Veterans' preference can be used when applying to permanent and temporary positions in both the competitive and excepted service (of the executive branch).

There are three types of veterans' preferences:

Claiming veterans' preference

When claiming veterans’ preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation. Applicants claiming 10-point preference will need to submit Form SF-15.


The DD-214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty", is issued to military members upon separation from active service. It contains information about the veteran's dates of military service and separation. Most veterans and their next-of-kin can obtain free copies of their DD Form 214 Report of Separation and other military and medical records through the National Archives Veterans’ Records Service.


The SF-15 "Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference" is used by Federal agencies and OPM examining offices to adjudicate individuals' claims for veterans' preference.

Upload and submit through USAJOBS

You can upload and save your DD-214, SF-15 or other documents to your USAJOBS account. Once uploaded, you can submit these forms with your job application as needed. Sign into your USAJOBS account or learn how to upload documents.

Veteran's Recruitment Appointment and other hiring options