What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?Learn more about this agency
This is an interdisciplinary position that can be filled as a Supervisory Geophysicist, or a Supervisory Geologist.
This announcement is being advertised concurrently with the following: Open to all U.S. citizens under: USGS-SAC-21-11165853-DE-ML
As the Center Director for the Earthquake Science Center, you will be responsible for defining the overall science program of the Earthquake Science Center and for overseeing the planning, conduct, and completion of all center science activities, which encompass broad areas of geologic research related to natural hazards and the assessment and monitoring of geologic hazards nationally. Some of your specific duties will include:
- Responsible for all aspects of the leadership, administration, operation, and management of the Science Center.
- Lead and develop collaborations with other USGS Science Centers, Other Federal and State agencies, universities, Tribes, and non-governmental organizations.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, executing, and managing broad, multi-disciplinary programs of research.
- Works with center science leadership to develop long and short-term science and monitoring strategies in response to current and expected future needs of the Southwest Region and Natural Hazards Mission Area.
- Manage the Center's science portfolio and core capabilities consistent with USGS mission priorities and oversee the fiscal considerations that support those activities.
- Provide advice and guidance to top agency management in the science and monitoring of geologically based natural hazards at national and regional meetings, seminars, and conferences, actively promoting USGS programs and coordinating with other participants.
- Engage as a team member with other USGS Science Center Directors in the Southwest Region and with Southwest Regional Office Leadership to employ science capabilities in the most effective manner with highest standards of science quality.
- Operates a governmental owned or leased vehicle as an incidental driver.
25% or less - You may be required to travel overnight for up to 4 nights per month.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607924500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.