Federal agencies can use the military spouse non-competitive hiring process to fill positions on either a temporary or permanent basis.

You’re eligible if you are:

  • Relocating with your spouse under Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.
  • A spouse of a service member who is 100% disabled due to a service-connected injury.
  • A spouse of a service member killed while on active duty.

There are time limits on your eligibility.

  • You’re eligible for two years from the date on your spouse’s PCS orders.
  • You’re permanently eligible from the date on your spouse’s documentation indicating his or her disability or death.
  • You are no longer eligible if you remarry.

You must meet certain criteria for each of these eligibility categories. Learn more about the specific criteria for military spouses.

Your eligibility does not entitle you to a job within the Federal Government. You must still apply and meet qualification standards and additional requirements, such as a background investigation.