The ideal candidate for this position will be experienced working as a Watch Officer in a 24-hour operational center environment. Having excellent analytic, writing and communication skills and GIS experience. This position starts at a salary of $78,801 (GS-11), $93,587 (GS-12) with promotion potential to (GS-12 grade level). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Region 9, Response team within FEMA.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will perform emergency management work in a watch operations center environment, including managing, and coordinating with other entities the response to intentional and/or unintentional crises, disasters, other humanitarian emergencies, hazards, or natural and man-made /technological (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-yield explosives) incidents. Typical assignments include:
- Performing substantive mission-oriented work in a FEMA region and serves as a Watch Officer responsible for informing regional response staff and leadership concerning policy issues dealing with immediate response to intentional and/or unintentional crises, disasters, other humanitarian emergencies, hazards, or natural and man-made/technological (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-yield explosives) incidents.
- Monitoring information from a variety of sources and provide daily situational reports, analysis, and briefings to regional staff regarding a broad range of hazards within the region and issues concerning the regional application of FEMA's enabling statutes, pertinent regulations, and/or general laws affecting the operation of the Federal government.
- Implementing headquarters and regional emergency management standards, regulations, practices, training, and procedures to identify, minimize or eliminate hazards and threats with a focus on response center operations.
- Conducting mission-oriented analyses of difficult and complex survivor-centric emergency response and assistance issues to inform response leadership decisions.
- Analyzing the efficiency and effectiveness of programs and advises on new developments, changing emphasis, or other events which could greatly impact the effectiveness of program delivery.
Promotion Potential: Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
25% or less - Travel up to 25% is required for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/583920100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.