This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-OC-18-10235786-MP under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both options.Learn more about this agency
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical area FDA-wide.
- Plan, guide and assign work to team members to accomplish goals and objectives, including prioritizing day-to-day assignments to accommodate heavy workloads, shifting demands, emergency situations and other operational needs.
- Provide expert advice and counsel to team members as well as senior officials on media relations activities, particularly message development and strategy for high-profile issues and complex communications challenges.
- Establish and maintain strong and effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including members of the news media.
- Brief, prepare and staff the Commissioner and other senior leaders for news media interviews, news media opportunities and other special events.
- Respond to questions and/or criticism from members of the news media concerning sensitive and complex subjects.
- Develop and review communications material, including news releases, statements and key messages, with a sense of urgency consistent with tight deadlines.
- Oversee news media monitoring efforts in support of major agency announcements and actions.
- Study the effectiveness of media relations tactics and policies and work to improve effectiveness.
- Use and oversee the use of new media/social networking tools and platforms to communicate to lay audiences about FDA programs, actions and accomplishments.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502119400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.