This position is part of the Office of Science - Headquarters, Department Of Energy. As a Physicist, you will provide program management for the Heavy Ion research program of the Office of Nuclear Physics in the selection of new research projects and in the continual review of ongoing projects.Learn more about this agency
As a Physicist, you will:
- Serve as Program Manager determining scientific focus and direction in the field of heavy ion nuclear physics research with national/international scope and impact.
- Examine and ascertain the research needs and opportunities in heavy ion nuclear physics.
- Prepare, justify, and support the portions of the budget relating to the area of responsibility; propose and implement adjustments to program during the budget approval process and unanticipated developments.
- Evaluate the suitability and performance of existing research programs at experimental facilities and assesses capabilities, based on peer review and evaluation of scientific priorities.
- Evaluate contractor, DOE laboratory, and grantee research proposals and performance via own scientific and technical judgment, merit review, site visits/reviews, and panel reviews.
- Represent DOE in committees composed of agency, interagency and/or non- governmental personnel, identify priority research directions, coordinate research activities on a national or international scale, assess work in progress, and evaluate proposals.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607217900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.