The Pathways Program offers federal internship and employment opportunities for current students, recent graduates and those with an advanced degree. There are three different paths available:
The Internship Program is for current students. If you’re a current student in high school, college, trade school or other qualifying educational institution, you may be eligible. This program offers paid opportunities to work in federal agencies and explore federal careers while completing your education.
The recent graduate program is for those who have graduated, within the past two years, from a qualifying educational institution or certificate program. The recent graduate program offers career development with training and mentorship.
You must apply within two years of getting your degree or certificate (veterans have up to six years to apply due to their military service obligation).
This program is for recent graduates with an advanced degree—either a professional or graduate degree such as a master’s, Ph.D. or J.D. You may be eligible if you:
- Have completed an advanced degree from a qualifying educational institution or program within the past two years of the annual application opening date.
- Are a current graduate student and will complete all of your advanced degree requirements (including the completion or successful defense of any required thesis or dissertation) by August 31st of the following year of the annual application.
Other student programs and opportunities
There are several other opportunities available to students, including:
- Department of State Student Internship program
- Virtual Student Federal Service (VSFS)
- National Security Education Programs such as Boren Scholarships, Boren Fellowships and English for Heritage language Speakers Scholarships.
- Overseas Student Summer Hire program
- Summer jobs (for example, a lifeguard)
How do I know a job is open to Students & recent graduates?
In the job announcement look for the This job is open to section. When a job is open to Students you’ll see the Students icon: . When a job is open to Recent graduates, you'll see the Recent graduates icon: . There may be other groups listed that can also apply.
You can also select the Students or recent graduates filter. Your results will display all jobs open to students and recent graduates.
Documents you may need
Please contact email@example.com with any issues or questions related to the Pathways Programs for students and recent graduates.