This is an entry-level position.Learn more about this agency
This vacancy is developed for applicants seeking an Attorney Advisor position who currently have a J.D. and have plans to sit for the bar.
If you are currently a licensed bar member, you are encouraged to apply to the Attorney Advisor vacancy under Job Announcement number TMCO-COMM-11253756-EX.
The physical worksite for this position is located in [Alexandria/Virginia]. However, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is currently under a maximum telework posture due to the COVID-19 pandemic; therefore, this position is currently under a 100 percent telework schedule. The position's telework schedule will likely change in the future when USPTO moves away from its maximum telework posture. At that time, the incumbent will be expected to report to the physical work site in accordance with the updated status requirements of their supervisor. The nature and scope of future telework opportunities will be subject to the unit's telework policy, any applicable bargaining unit agreements, and supervisory approval. Payment of relocation expenses, as applicable, will be paid in accordance with this Job Opportunity Announcement.
As a Law Clerk, you will ?
- Be responsible for the complete ex parte examination of applications for the registration of trademarks to ensure compliance with the Trademark Act of 1946 and related statutes.
- Conduct preliminary review of applications which may pose complex factual and legal questions; analyze the record; evaluate facts; and determine questions of law.
- Recommend approval of a mark for publication for opposition or draft the final position of the Agency.
- Meet with counsel in order to resolve issues that arise during examination.
- Prepare cases for ex parte appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Applicants hired under this vacancy announcement (except in particular circumstances concerning current and former Federal Government employees with significant relevant trademark experience) will have their grade and pay set at the GS-0904-09 Step 01 grade level at ($60,129) per annum.
Upon ADMISSION TO THE BAR, the Law Clerk (GS-0904-09) position will be converted to the Attorney Advisor (GS-0905-11) position with a full performance level to the GS-14.
Applicants who apply to this vacancy as a "Non-Licensed" Attorney and are able to obtain licensure "Prior to the start date" may be hired at the GS-0905-11 grade level.
These positions are projected to start in March 2022.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616321100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.