This position is located in Smithsonian Institution, Smithsonian Environmental Research Center. The employee provides ecological research, in order to extend unexplored aspects and theories, and to discover new understanding primarily focused on landscape-scale ecological science.
Please visit their website at: https://serc.si.edu/opportunities
More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
As a Research Ecologist (Landscape Ecologist) the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Supervises staff in the agency or organization’s Landscape Ecology research program.
- Identifying information gaps and research needs, applying scientific methods, planning the approach for study, analyzing the data, interpreting results, and documenting and reporting findings.
- Conceives and develops innovative and competitive research proposals, consistent with the agency or organization’s and incumbent’s research objectives, that are awarded to support the Agency by an independent competitive review process for grants and contracts from internal and especially extramural sponsors.
- Publishes and disseminates research findings in landscape ecology that describe new or modified theories and principles, explain phenomena or ecological processes, and inform to improve the understanding of research techniques and ecological processes.
- Provides professional service to the field of research by: providing peer reviews of journal manuscripts and grant proposals; serving on external advisory and review committees; providing leadership for professional associations; and mentoring students and others.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel for meetings
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607667800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.