This position is located in the Office of Audit,The Office of Financial Management Audits (FMA) in headquarters. OA is responsible for conducting and supervising audits relating to the Department of Labor's programs and operations; recommending policies for activities designed to promote economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of the Department's programs and operations; and preventing and detecting fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement in these programs and operations.Learn more about this agency
- Independently conducts limited or expanded scope audits of governmental organizations, programs, activities, or functions which may encompass the following:
- Financial and Compliance Audits - determines (a) whether the financial statements of an audited entity present fairly the financial position and the results of financial operations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, and (b) whether the entity has complied with laws and regulations that may have a material effect upon the financial statements.
- Economy and Efficiency Audits - determines (a) whether the entity is managing and utilizing its resources (such as personnel, property, and space) economically and efficiently, (b) the causes of inefficiencies or uneconomical practices, and (c) whether the entity has complied with laws and regulations concerning matters of economy and efficiency.
- Program Results Audits - determines (a) whether the desired results or benefits established by the legislature or other authorizing body are being achieved, and (b) whether the agency has considered alternatives that might yield desired results at a lower cost.
- As a team leader, receives oral and written assignments from supervisor. Recognizes unusual conditions that affect such assignments, develops alternate approaches and discusses them with the supervisor.
- Confers with agency officials and representatives of Federal, state and local governmental agencies to obtain information related to the assignment.
- Assists in evaluating audit work proposals submitted by CPA firms and analyzes labor hour categories. Recommends to the supervisor that a task order be let with a CPA firm for work to be performed.
- Represents the agency in contacts and conferences with other agencies, other audit organizations, and outside groups in order to explain the development and use of audit guidelines and procedures.
- Provides technical guidance to CPAs, state and local audit organizations performing single entity-wide audits under OMB guidelines. Monitors work to ensure adequacy of coverage, timeliness, statistical sampling approach, report preparation and coordination with other Federal or state funding sources in compliance with GAO standards and OMB guidelines.
Occasional travel - Subject to travel of 20% or greater.
13 - This position has promotion potential to GS-13. There is no obligation to provide future promotions to you if you are selected.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603950300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.