Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the best places to work in the federal government! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Jobs Website.Learn more about this agency
This vacancy is limited to the first 150 applications received. All applications received prior to midnight (11:59 ET) of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. If the application limit is not reached by the closing date of the announcement, all applications received during the open period will be considered. Any required documents must be submitted at the time that you apply as documents will not be accepted past the day the application limit is reached, if applicable. Please note that this program may be held in a virtual work environment.
This vacancy announcement is being used to recruit for multiple extern positions throughout the USPTO. As a Student Extern, you will receive practical experience by engaging in a variety of diverse and challenging activities. Exciting opportunities await you! Come join us and contribute to the accomplishment of organizational goals in an intellectual property environment. Your extern experience will be further enhanced by participating in sessions with agency executives and other USPTO leadership where you will gain insight into USPTO programs.
This is a 12 week spring extern program; however, externs have flexibility on when they depart the program.
We are looking for externs to start on Monday, January 10th.
Primary duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Researching materials and preparing information
- Benchmarking other agencies and private industry companies
- Participating in group/team assignments
- Assisting with special projects and new initiatives
- Managing databases and inputting information
- Review and analyzing information
- Drafting various documents and reports
- Creating electronic and hard copy case files, maintaining files
- Communicating with customers via phone, e-mail and/or face- to-face
- Assisting in preparing for a variety of training classes
- Designing various strategies and presentations
- Assisting with redesigning business process improvement activities
- Testing various software and systems
- Creating spreadsheets/charts, etc. using a variety of data sources and information
- Assisting in preparing for and observing hearings, cases, panels, interviews, and documenting results
- Assisting with researching and contributing toward analysis of IP protection and enforcement policies of U.S. and of selected foreign countries
- Assisting in outreach to Members of Congress, state and local elected officials
- Assisting economists and technical staff in conducting groundbreaking economic research on innovation and intellectual property
00 - No promotion potential.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/602639500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.