The incumbent will provide professional services in range management, and soil and water conservation activities while assisting in the planning of conservation practices on ranches and farms.Learn more about this agency
- Serves as grazing lands consultant and advisor to numerous ranchers and farmers in the assigned area of responsibility.
- Provides individual landowners' evaluations of their resources, identifies problems, and proposes short and/or long term land improvement alternatives.
- Provides guidance, assistance, and training to field and/or area office personnel to ensure that conservation plans on all grazing lands provide for the application of technically accurate and adequate practices and measures.
- These may include, but are not limited to: planned grazing systems, brush management, various types of species and plants, and their respective role and response in the grazing system.
- Develops conservation plans on grazing lands.
- Makes specific effort to assure an inter-disciplinary approach to the planning and development of alternative solutions including specific provisions for candidate species or species of concern where appropriate.
- Assembles, evaluates, and interprets data relating to forage yields, composition changes, and predictions of performance by various forage sources common to the area.
- Assists in the preparation of ecological site descriptions (ESD) and the Rangeland Health Assessment Guide.
- Writes news stories and prepares public presentations and/or radio and television programs on the subject of land utilization, improvement, and establishment to inform the public of the value of a sound grazing lands management program.
- Physical Demands: The majority of the work requires regular and recurring physical exertion related to rangeland management. This involves standing for long periods and/or walking on rough, uneven or rocky terrain.
- Work Environment: The work is usually performed outdoors and involves regular and recurring exposure to moderate risks such as wind, adverse weather conditions, insects, poisonous plants, or pesticides.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/593982400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.