This position is located in the Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum. The purpose of this position is to assist with moving the collection from the Paul E. Garber Facility to the Steven F. Udvar Hazy Center by handling, packing, storing, shipping, maintaining, and preserving artifacts from the National Collection.Learn more about this agency
As a Museum Technician, the incumbent would perform the following duties:
- Performs tasks of a technical nature in support of collections management.
- Works with a crew of museum technicians and specialists that are responsible for the packing, handling, moving, transporting, storing, and monitoring of artifacts such as airplanes, helicopters, aircraft engines, missiles, cannons, guns, spacecraft, satellites, spacesuits, uniforms, art, and other related aeronautical and space objects.
- Routinely makes significant use of the museum’s computerized Collections Information System. This includes creating specific artifact databases, adding information to those databases, and assisting the curatorial departments with other areas of the database.
- In preparation for storage, shipping, transportation or exhibition, the incumbent must disassemble, assemble, load, unload, secure, crate, or cradle aforementioned types of artifacts. These tasks require the incumbent to construct cradles, dollies, and other supports necessary to ensure safe handling, movement, and storage of the artifacts.
- Performs all types of artifact handling operations, including de/installations, which require the operation of trucks, hoists, forklifts and similar equipment.
- Assists NASM staff and visiting researchers in obtaining information from specimens.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/588475000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.