The Congressional Research Service (CRS) seeks a senior manager to serve as the Assistant Director for its Foreign Affairs, Defense and Trade Division.
PLEASE NOTE: CRS is also seeking a Deputy Assistant Director for its Foreign Affairs, Defense and Trade Division (VAR001411). Applicants are invited to apply for either or both vacancies. A SEPARATE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED FOR EACH.Learn more about this agency
This position serves as head of the Foreign Affairs, Defense and Trade Division (FDT), a major CRS research division. In this capacity, and reporting directly to the Director of CRS, the Assistant Director manages, within the interdisciplinary environment of CRS, a professional research staff in its production of written products and consulting services in support of the United States Congress.
Working directly with congressional committees and Members of the House and Senate, research analysts and specialists within CRS’s Foreign Affairs, Defense and Trade Division contribute to an informed national legislature as it considers policy issues of importance to the American people. Areas of research, analysis, and consultative support covered by FDT include U.S. foreign policy, institutions, and budgets; regional and transnational affairs; foreign assistance and international development; national security strategies, policies, and budgets; military operations, personnel, logistics, acquisition and related issues; international trade and finance; and foreign policy legislation.
The Assistant Director ensures that written and consulting work is of the highest quality and consistently meets the Service’s standards of objectivity, nonpartisanship, timeliness, legislative relevance, authoritativeness, and accessibility. In addition, the Assistant Director actively collaborates with managers and staff in CRS’s other research divisions to ensure that a multifaceted approach to policy issues is taken to best inform Congressional decision-making.
The Assistant Director leads implementation of the Service’s agenda for issues within the division’s areas of responsibility, including approaches, frameworks, and methodologies for addressing policy and legislative issues. This includes demonstrating personal intellectual leadership in monitoring congressional priorities in the various policy areas and assuring access to the intellectual capacity to meet current and changing needs of the United States Congress at a sustained level of excellence. This also includes exercising overall responsibility for the oversight and management of the division’s human, financial, material, and information research assets, including a staff of approximately 100 employees. In performing these activities, the Assistant Director is responsible for ensuring that the research, analytical, and consulting activities of the division are aligned with the legislative work of Congress and with the priorities, goals, and policies of CRS for meeting congressional needs.
The Assistant Director also serves as one of the chief advisors to the Director, counseling the Director on all aspects of the research management and operations of CRS and recommending specific policies and procedures for improving the Service’s overall quality, efficiency, and effectiveness. The Assistant Director serves as a member of the Director’s senior management team and serves as a principal CRS representative to Members, committees, and officers of the United States Congress.
Major duties of this position include:
- In collaboration with other senior managers, leads, plans, directs, and evaluates the research and analyses of the Service in policy areas for which the incumbent has direct research management responsibility and ensures that such activities are fully aligned with the legislative work of the United States Congress and with the priorities, goals, and policies of CRS for meeting congressional needs.
- Demonstrates personal intellectual leadership in monitoring congressional needs, in formulating and maintaining an agenda to meet those needs, in guiding and directing relevant research of individuals and groups, and in reviewing and evaluating the work of researchers and their managers.
- Ensures research, analysis, and consulting services provided by the division are of the highest quality and meet CRS’s standards of objectivity, nonpartisanship, timeliness, legislative relevance, authoritativeness, and accessibility.
- Counsels the Director and Deputy Director on all aspects of the management and operations of the Congressional Research Service and advises on matters relating to the research activities, operations, and mission of the Service.
- Serves as a principal representative to committees and officers of the United States Congress, other legislative agencies and the Library of Congress, executive departments and agencies, professional organizations, universities, and other research organizations on the broadest matters related to CRS research, policy, and organization.
Oversees and ensures compliance with human resource management functions for division staff. Establishes and clearly communicates performance expectations for staff.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/588448000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.