-----RECRUITMENT OR RELOCATION INCENTIVES MAY APPLY FOR HIGHLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE-----Learn more about this agency
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is assigned to the Dubuque Community Based Outpatient Clinic and is directly responsible to the Mental Health Service Line Director. Ancillary professional collaboration is also mediated by VA staff physicians as delegated by the MHSL Director. Clinical assignment, review, and monitoring of activities will be supervised by the Psychiatry Clinical Director.
Common duties of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Obtain a comprehensive (or otherwise appropriate) general and mental health history on patients seen in assigned clinical areas.
- Performs problem focused physical examination on patients seen in assigned areas as clinically indicated.
- Order lab work, x-rays, diagnostic studies and make referrals as indicated for further assessment.
- Interpret the clinical history, physical and mental symptoms and test results, employing a comprehensive clinical assessment to formalize a diagnosis. Make sound clinical judgments based on this evaluation and formulates an individual treatment plan based on patient needs. Evaluate health outcomes and implement a revised assessment and plan if indicated.
- Collaborate with staff physician for confirmation of diagnosis and treatment plan in complex or unstable patient care situations. Refer medical problems beyond the scope of the nurse practitioner to the physician for evaluation. Disagreements between nurse practitioner and physician will be resolved by the Director for the Mental Health Service Line. Documents all notes for permanent chart record on all patients seen.
- Assess and manage minor or stable chronic physical and/or psychiatric problems. Prescriptive authority for the nurse practitioner falls within the nurse practitioner's scope of practice.
- Confer with a collaborating physician prior to obtaining consultation with other subspecialty services in medical, surgical or primary care services. Accept phone calls from patients, family members, Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) staff, and other outside professionals regarding patient status and/or questions regarding their care. Confer with physician when necessary.
- Patient care functions may include dispensing medications and administering IM medications.
- Carry out activities as part of a preventive health care program; utilize screening methods to determine the need for further health care.
- Provide health care education and counseling for the patient and patient's family regarding medical conditions, health status, and the use of prescribed treatment and drugs. Recommend therapy measures regarding physical, social and environmental factors. Performs health promotion and illness prevention counseling utilizing patient education, self-care and risk reduction strategies.
- Demonstrates compliance with policies and procedures related to blood born pathogens. Utilizes precautions.
- Self-evaluation of practice every twelve months. Periodic review of the medical record by the Chief, Outpatient Psychiatry or designee. Peer review may be utilized as an evaluation component.
- Sensitive information (electronic, written or oral) obtained in connection with employment whether involving patients, employees, medical center or VA information will not be discussed with anyone (unless a patient release is signed or at the direction of the medical center director.) and only with VA employees on a "need to know" basis. This includes protection of information from loss, alteration, unauthorized deletion, and unauthorized access.
- Additional Clinical duties as delegated.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan reimbursement program. To participate in the program, you must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA Policy 1021 and submit your application within four months of appointment. The final award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) is determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services office.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567839200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.