- Build agency understanding of who their customers are (both internal and external) and the value they seek from Federal services, and what aspects of customer experience are most important to them.
- Creatively gather and package compelling customer experience data to support leadership decision-making.
- Bring together the right people and supporting culture to develop strategies for improving customer experience, and plan for achieving measurable outcomes.
- Act as a relentless entrepreneur driving opportunities and projects through to completion creatively within a bureaucracy, while maintaining respect for colleagues and tactfully building coalitions of support.
- Work alongside colleagues to embed human-centered design practices so that others can both benefit from these approaches and learn methods for sustainable change.
Subject matter experts will evaluate the first three pages of your resume based on these competencies. You must have at least a year demonstrating accomplishment of the duties and competencies described below. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. If your position was not full time, you must indicate the number of hours worked per week.
Adaptive Leadership and Resiliency: The ideal candidate leads with humility, an entrepreneurial spirt and strong emotional intelligence. This is demonstrated through experience identifying opportunities for initiatives and finding a path forward despite organizational constraints, friction, and bureaucracy. They will lead by example, tactfully form coalitions, and manage stakeholders in a transparent and mission-oriented manner.
Customer Experience (CX) Strategy: The ideal candidate has experience aligning customer experience strategy to the organization's mission, vision and strategic priorities. They possess an understanding of how core functional strategic components (governance, measurement, people, technology, service design, and process) fit together and have taken a systemic and holistic approach to CX efforts. They can map a theory of change between their efforts and the desired change, including appropriate ways to measure progress.
Managing Customer Experience Implementation: The ideal candidate has experience implementing CX initiatives that follow the customer journeys across organizational silos. They are not afraid to get their hands dirty and do the work. They have used information collected and operational data to drive decision-making, impact, and support continuous improvement. They have experience working in a context where priorities can be ambiguous and / or change rapidly.
Applying Human Centered Design Practices: The ideal candidate has experience applying design techniques in service of positive customer outcomes, which could include deep knowledge of design thinking, service design, content design, product design, behavioral science, ethnographic research, usability research, or accessibility assessment (including 508 standards) practices. They have the ability to successfully communicate the impact of good design to stakeholders and leadership with a variety of professional backgrounds.
GS-13: To qualify for the GS-13 level, your resume and portfolio will show at least one year experience participating in customer experience strategy, using diverse customer experience measurement tools to define and implement customer experience projects, and have demonstrated experience implementing design methods despite changing circumstances and stakeholders with diverse priorities.
GS-14: To qualify for the GS-14 level, your resume and portfolio will show at least one year experience showing you can work across silos to successfully deliver quantifiable impact, that you've led and advised leadership on customer experience strategy, implemented projects in an agile way through the entire lifecycle with a focus on customer experience measurement metrics, and have been recognized as an expert on design methods.
GS-15: To qualify for the GS-15 level, in addition to what is described at the GS-14 level, your resume and portfolio will show at least one year experience leading organizations and building teams to drive multiple customer experience initiatives across organizational silos. You have extensive experience using customer data and user research to drive your organization to become more customer focused.
You must meet all qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Selective Service Registration is required, as applicable
- May require completion of one year probationary period
- Some positions may require a pre-employment drug test and/or random drug testing during the period of employment.
- Travel and security clearance requirements will vary depending on the position being filled.
- Telework will vary based on agency and the agency's telework policy.
- You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
Get answers to questions about this process and position
To address questions about the application process and requirements, please join us on April 20th 8PM EST and April 21st 2PM EST.
April 20th 8PM EST
- Participant Dial-In: (877) 369-5243
- Participant Code: 0961159#
- Participant Dial-In: (877) 369-5243
- Participant Code: 0473880#
- April 22nd: Job posting opens - apply on this date as the posting will close on the first day we reach 300 applications.
- Mid-May: First round interviews (30 minute phone calls)
- Late-May: Second round interviews (1 hour phone calls)
- Early June: Agency-specific interviews with qualifying applicants
- Mid-June: Offers begin on a rolling basis
Who you'll work with
From small businesses seeking loans to families receiving disaster support, every interaction between the Federal government and the public is an opportunity to demonstrate the government is working to meet their needs. To truly transform the way the public experiences government, we need to approach rebuilding trust transaction by transaction internally and externally, interaction by interaction across the life events people experience. And we need you to help us do it.
We're working with several of the nation's highest impact public-facing programs to implement a more systematic, government-wide approach towards elevating the importance of a human-centered methods and increasing the public's trust and satisfaction with our Federal institutions.
Candidates may be considered for other roles even if you do not formally submit an application for the other roles we are seeking to fill under the Customer Experience Strategist position (i.e. If you apply as a Customer Experience Strategist but we see potential for a Design Strategist, we will consider you for that position based on our own assessment.)
Qualified applicants will remain available for selection for one year after certificates are issued.
How you will be evaluated
The evaluation process for this job is different from a typical job announcement.
The qualifications for this position will be evaluated by subject matter experts. Apply only if you meet the qualifications.
Resume and Portfolio Review
Subject matter experts will review the first three pages of your resume and the portfolio you submit to determine your technical qualifications for your chosen role(s) based on the required competencies.
Qualifying phone interviews
If the subject matter experts determine that your resume reflects the required competencies, you will have at least one phone interview to further assess whether your experience meets the required competencies for your chosen role(s). You may meet with more than one subject matter expert for a determination to be made.
Ranking and preference
Preference will be applied to applicants who move forward after the qualifying phone interviews.
Participating agencies will receive certificates with qualified and referred applicants and will begin making offers directly to applicants. Applicants may receive multiple offers.
If you are not selected for this position you may be considered for similar positions at agencies for up to 1 year.
Candidates may be considered for other roles even if you do not formally submit an application (i.e. If you apply as a Customer Experience Strategist but we see potential in your skillset to serve as a Design Strategist, we may consider you for that position based on our own assessment.)
Only the first 3 pages of your submitted resume will be reviewed
Upload your resume as a PDF to ensure consistent formatting.
All applicants must submit a resume.
- Resume: We will review up to 3 pages of your resume. On your resume, ensure that the qualifications for this job (through your work / related experiences, publications, certifications, etc.) are reflected in the first three pages if your page count is greater than 3. Also, be sure to include the start and end dates for each position you held, either month and year or month, day, and year for short-term projects. If your position was not full time, you must also indicate the number of hours worked per week.
- Design portfolio: A PDF limited to 3MB, or include a URL within your resume, of work samples that exemplify your relevant experience. The portfolio can include case studies, examples of project work, and/or journey maps. Either your resume or portfolio should include what your role was in each of the projects.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance:
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566005100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.