The purpose of this position is to perform maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, inspection, and/or overhaul of a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment.Learn more about this agency
(1) Troubleshoots, performs maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment and diagnoses the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools.
(3) Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems.
(4) Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems such as injectors, leaking wheel cylinders, corroded mufflers, fuel tanks, brake cylinders and worn brake shoes, voltage regulators, generators, injector pumps, and fuel pumps.
(5) Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity.
** This is NOT an all-inclusive list of duties. **
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
Open to US Army, Army Reserves, and Army Nat'l Guard military mbrs only
Must be assessed into WY ARNG before appt. May take up to 120 days.
Must become a member of the Wyoming Army Nat'l Guard before appt.
Must submit ERB or DA Fm 2-1.
Refer to Required Documents section for additional details and links.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
Technicians are paid through Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer (DD/EFT).
The Selected applicant must complete an "I-9, Employment Verification", "OF-306, Declaration of Federal Employment", and a "Declaration of Relatives in the Wyoming Military Department" prior to the appointment date.
Military Technicians are ineligible for military enlistment, retention, and student loan repayment bonuses.
Acceptance of a Technician position will terminate these military incentives.
Acceptance of a permanent or indefinite position will cause termination from the Selected Reserve Incentive Program (SRIP) and TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS).
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive MAY BE authorized, if eligible. Subject to funding and TAG approval.
PCS is not authorized in lieu of incentives.
Military Technicians in the excepted service will wear the appropriate uniform while performing as a Technician.
Veteran's preference does not apply to National Guard Dual Status Technician positions in accordance with Title 32 USC 709(f).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position. 2. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
2. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
3. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
4. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
Non WY-ARNG Members:
Min: E1 / PVT
Max: E6 / SSG
Min: E1 / PVT
Max: E8 / MSG
Enlisted applicant's military grade cannot exceed the maximum military grade authorized. Over-grade applicants must provide a written demotion statement of understanding with application, willingness to be administratively reduced in grade (E6/SSG for non-WYARNG members) if selected for this position. A Demotion Statement of Understanding is located at: https://go.usa.gov/xEeWG
Applicants' under-grade or over-grade (without a written demotion statement of understanding) will not be considered for this vacancy. Acceptance of this position does not in any way constitute a military promotion.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: Work involves the repair, adjustment and maintenance of self-propelled transportation and other mobile equipment (except aircraft).
*This position is covered by the 5800 job family which includes occupations involved in repairing, adjusting, and maintaining self-propelled transportation and other mobile equipment (except aircraft), including any special purpose features with which they may be equipped.
Must possess experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
Must possess at least 12 months of experience or training using common hand and power tools and a small variety of test and measurement devices to make mechanical repairs. Experience removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories. Experience which demonstrates a basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments. Experience demonstrating an understanding of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
Must possess at least 18 months of experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems. Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment. Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems. Experienced in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on vehicles, equipment and systems.
NOTE: Minimum Requirements and Specialized Experience will be used to determine qualifications for the announced position. Applicants must provide from (e.g. 02/2015 - 03/2017 or Feb 2017 - Mar 2017) dates and hours worked per week with description of your specialized experience on the resume.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Must possess a valid state's driver's license.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx)
The Wyoming Military Department's (WYMD) 335, Personnel - General Merit Placement & Promotion Plan, 15 February 2018, is available at:
Please do not send/fax/courier/email any applications or resumes to the Wyoming National Guard Human Resource Office, you must apply on-line via www.USAJOBS.gov. The Human Resource can only process materials received through USA Jobs.
- Applies to "Newly Appointed" applicants to the Federal Government.
- A Recruitment Incentive of 20% of Base Salary is authorized with this advertisement.
- Payment may be paid at the beginning of the service period, in bi-weekly installments through-out the service period, as a final lump sum payment upon completion of the full-service period, or a combination of the previous mentioned payment methods.
- Prior to Recruitment Incentive being paid, incumbent must sign a written Service Agreement to complete a specified period of full-time employment with the National Guard. The minimum period of service required is no less than 12-months and not more than 4 years (48-months).
- Failure to complete the service period, as stipulated in the Service Agreement, will obligate the incumbent to a pro-rata repayment of the Recruitment Incentive.
- A Relocation Incentive, up to 20% of a Federal Employee's annual rate of basic bay, may be offered to a current Federal Employee who must relocate, without a break in service to accept a position that is difficult to fill in the absence of an incentive, in a different commuting area.
- Federal employee must establish a residence, in the new geographic area, before a Relocation Incentive is paid.
- Before a Relocation Incentive is paid, the Federal Employee must sign a written Service Agreement to complete a specified period of full-time employment with the National Guard. The minimum period of service required is no less than 12-months and not more than 4 years (48-months).
- Failure to complete the service period, as stipulated in the Service Agreement, will obligate the technician to a pro-rata repayment of the Relocation Incentive.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume which includes:
* Your full name, mailing address, email address, and phone numbers where you can be reached
* A narrative of your work (paid or unpaid), training, education, and/or other experiences that may be related to this vacancy
* Show actual begin and end dates (e.g. 02/2015 - 03/2017 or Feb 2017 - Mar 2017) format and hours worked per week for all work experience submitted.
* List all pertinent civilian and military experiences
* Describe your duties (work experience) in your own words. Do not submit copies or official position descriptions.
2. Other supporting documents:
*** Cover Letter - Optional
*** Records Review
* US Army, US Army Reserves, and Army National Guard members must submit an Enlisted Records Brief (ERB) or DA Form 2-1 with application.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10785480
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressWY Unit Training Equipment Site
PO Box 399
Guernsey, WY 82214
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/564716200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.