This position is located in the Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Division of Child, Adolescent and Family Health, Injury and Medical Services for Children Branch. The duty location for this position is Rockville, MD.Learn more about this agency
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.**
As a Project Officer and Scientific Advisor for Injury & Medical Services for Children Branch, your major duties and responsibilities include:
- Monitoring and oversight to grant and cooperative agreement programs including the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN) program, the Targeted Issues program and the Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) Data Center.
- Advising PECARN on potential study concepts and protocols, determining the importance of the research question from a public health perspective and assessment of whether research is relevant to a priority from the research agenda.
- Leading data analytics that support the administration of the EMSC program, operating as an epidemiology expert responsible for analyzing data trends, program outcomes and emerging needs relative to the EMS for Children population.
- Developing technically sound and data-supported recommendations for advancing the MCH field and to communicate effectively these recommendations to clinicians, investigators, and Federal and State public health officials
25% or less - Expected travel may be up to 25% for this position
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
- This position has an education requirement - transcripts are required.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
QualificationsTHESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE: 03/26/2020
Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR 0601 SERIES: Bachelors or graduate/higher level degree: major study in an academic field related to the medical field, health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position. This degree must be from an educational program from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
A copy of your unofficial transcript that verifies that you have earned a degree that meets the education requirement is required by the closing date of the announcement. Copies of diplomas are not acceptable as verification.
In addition to meeting the education requirement, to qualify for this position at the GS-14 level, your resume must clearly demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-13 level in the federal service.
Examples of qualifying experience include the following types of tasks performed on a regular and recurring basis: providing oversight and direction in the administration of grants, cooperative agreements, or contracts activities; implementing or overseeing multi-institutional clinical research or pre-hospital or hospital emergency medical services research; and applying a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methods for the design, collection, analysis and interpretation of public health program outcome data.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; community; student; social). If such experience is on a part-time basis, you must provide the average number of hours worked per week as well as the beginning and ending dates of the experience so it can be fully credited.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
GRANTS MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION - Acquires and applies critical financial concepts and practices, based upon a thorough understanding of the Federal Government, to administer grants and cooperative agreements in accordance with organizational needs and deadlines.
PUBLIC HEALTH SURVEILLANCE - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures to conduct ongoing systematic collection, analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of health-related data essential to planning, implementation, and evaluation of public health practice.
STATISTICAL ANALYSIS - Uses descriptive or inferential statistical methods to collect explore and present large amounts of data to discover underlying
patterns and trends.
SCIENTIFIC WRITING - Prepares written documentation to transfer scientific information about concepts, situations, products, services, or results to audiences with varying levels of scientific knowledge.
TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE, please click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10745138
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on "Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities".
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: HRSA participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here.
- Financial Disclosure: This position requires you to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report prior to receiving a final offer letter as well as within 30 days of your appointment. This will require you to report information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact your HRSA Ethics Advisor at AskHR@hrsa.gov.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified - for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- Well Qualified - for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified - for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/ Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Must be found to be well-qualified to exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position. Click here for more information on ICTAP/CTAP.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact either HRSA's Office of Human Resources at
or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or HRSA's Reasonable Accommodation programs at (301) 443-3780 or by email: RA-Request@hrsa.gov. You must contact the Reasonable Accommodations Program prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 4:00PM EST (except Federal holidays). (301) 443-2538
Submission of a resume alone is not a complete application. To apply for this position, you must provide a complete online Application Package which includes:
1. A current Resume - For resume writing guidance, please visit USAJOBS Resources Center or view their video tutorial. Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career. To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builder.
If you choose to use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose, then you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
- Job title
- Name of employer
- Beginning and ending dates of employment (month/day/year format)
- Hours worked per week. We will assume full-time unless otherwise stated. We will prorate part-time employment in crediting experience.
- Detailed description of job duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities to include any supervisory/managerial responsibilities and number of staff supervised (if applicable)
- Your resume must show the series and grade or equivalent for all federal positions you have held. (if a federal position)
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents to be submitted with application:
- If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. Click here for more information on veterans' preference.
- Personnel Orders: PHS Commissioned Corps Officers must submit a copy of latest personnel orders in lieu of SF-50.
- If you are currently serving in a pay banded position, please include a copy of your pay band chart with your application.
- College Transcripts or other official documentation from the qualifying educational institution showing that you meet the eligibility requirements for this program, as described in the "Qualifications and Evaluations" sections of this announcement. (if the position has a positive education requirement, or you are qualifying on the basis of education).
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 03/26/2020.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 03/26/2020 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
- It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Applicants please note: To assist us with an expeditious application review process, please do not submit any of the documentation listed below unless specifically requested in the announcement. The following documents are not required and do not need to be submitted with your resume:
- Diplomas of any type (When education documents are required, you must submit unofficial transcripts)
- Letters of Recommendation, Reference, or Congratulations, etc.
- General training documents or certificates of completed training (Except Contract Specialist positions when requested in the announcement)
- Any documents with a picture of the applicant (Except medical or nursing licenses when requested in the announcement)
- Awards documentation including SF-50s for Awards
- Performance Appraisals (Only CTAP/ ICTAP eligible applicants need to submit their latest performance appraisal)
- Evaluations of any type
- Writing Samples
- Executive Core Qualifications Statements (ECQs)
Agency contact information
AskHR HRSA Helpdesk
AddressHealth Resources and Services Administration
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD 20857
Once your online questionnaire is received you will be sent an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed. You may also check the status of your application through your USAJobs profile. check the status
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/562079500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.