As a Product Development Specialist (referred to here as Product Manager), GS-0301-13, you will lead cross-functional teams to deliver user-centered products using agile methodologies and modern software development practices while building capacity for product innovation in government.Learn more about this agency
- Create, own, and convey the vision and goals. Devise and track key digital product metrics focusing on outcomes over features.
- Engage with users to understand needs and synthesize into actionable products and services. Put user needs at the center of decisions.
- Evaluate past assumptions and continuously incorporate new information into the direction of the product. Actively define the underlying problem when presented with customer interviews, customer requests, and potential solutions.
- Lead cross-functional teams and build consensus across stakeholders, including senior leadership.
- Clear hurdles to ship digital products iteratively.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
QualificationsThis job will close when 500 applications are received, which may be sooner than the closing date.
Subject matter experts will evaluate the first three pages of your resume based on the four competencies below. You must have at least one year (52 weeks) demonstrating accomplishment of the duties and competencies. You must list the start and end dates (month and year) forall relevant experience.CUSTOMER CENTRIC MINDSET : Serves as the user advocate to synthesize needs into actionable products and services.
OUTCOME DRIVEN: Defines objectives focused on meeting organizational goals. Formulates and tracks measures of success.
PRODUCT MINDSET: Continuously balances business and customer needs with strategic goals. Defines product priorities and tasks. Leads a cross-functional product team that delivers value iteratively to users.
COMMUNICATION AND COLLABORATION: Owns the product vision, crafts the narrative, and tells the story. Translates concepts between technical and non-technical audiences. Collaborates across cross-functional teams to achieve common goals.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Click the following link to view the occupational questionnaire: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10743166
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
CMS employees currently participating in 100% Full-Time Telework Program may be eligible to remain in the program. If an employee in this program is selected, the pay will be set in accordance with the locality pay for the applicable duty station. The listed salary range reflects the locality pay assigned to the duty location(s) listed in the vacancy announcement. For more information about pay based on locality, please visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Salaries & Wages Page.
All current or former federal employees should upload a SF-50: Notification of Personnel Action.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced federal employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit the required documentation and be rated well-qualified for this vacancy. Click here for a detailed description of the required supporting documents. A well-qualified applicant is one whose knowledge, skills and abilities clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements of the position. Additional information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp.
Additional Forms REQUIRED Prior to Appointment:
- Optional Form 306, Declaration of Federal Employment and the Background/Suitability Investigation - A background and suitability investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the successful completion of the investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. If selected, the Optional Form 306 will be required prior to final job offer. Click here to obtain a copy of the Optional Form 306.
- Form I-9, Employment Verification and the Electronic Eligibility Verification Program - CMS participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. If selected, the Form I-9 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here for more information about E-Verify and to obtain a copy of the Form I-9.
- Standard Form 61, Appointment Affidavits - If selected, the Standard Form 61 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here to obtain a copy of the Standard Form 61.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location. For Central Office vacancies, the "same geographical location" includes Baltimore, Maryland; Bethesda, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The evaluation process for this job is different from a typical job announcement.
The qualifications for this position will be evaluated by subject matter experts. Apply only if you meet the qualifications.Resume review:
Subject matter experts will review the first three pages of your resume to determine your technical qualifications for this position based on the required competencies.
Practical Assessment:Qualifying phone interviews:
Your response to the practical assessment will be used to measure your depth of knowledge in relation to the required competencies for the position. Depending on the volume of applications passing this step in the evaluation process, either the top candidates will move into the next assessment phase (with remaining candidates holding in the process) or all passing candidates will move to the next phase.
At this phase, you will have at least one phone interview to further assess whether your experience meets the required competencies. You may meet with more than one subject matter expert for a determination to be made.
Ranking and preference:
Preference will be applied to applicants who move forward after the qualifying phone interviews.
If you are not selected for this position you may be considered for similar positions for up to one year.
This is a competitive vacancy announcement advertised under Delegated Examining Authority. Selections made under this vacancy announcement will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given new appointments to the civil service; however, benefits, time served and all other Federal entitlements would remain the same.
Only the first three (3) pages of your submitted resume will be reviewed. Also, be sure to include the start and end dates for each position you held, including month and year. If your position was not full time, you must also indicate the number of hours worked per week.
Uploading your resume as a PDF will ensure the reviewer is looking at the same three pages you intended.
All applicants must submit a resume. All current or former federal employees should upload a SF-50: Notification of Personnel Action.
Note: Feel free to use your preferred resume, but ensure that the qualifications for this job are reflected in the first three pages of your resume.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your complete application package, as described in the "Required Documents" section, must be received by 11:59 PM ET on 03/27/2020 to receive consideration. Please keep in mind this job will close when we have received 500 applications which may be sooner than the closing date.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR WORK EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION.
We strongly encourage applicants to ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Official Position Title (include series and grade if Federal job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer's name
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18, 2007 to April 05, 2008)
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to Amanda.email@example.com. The decision to grant reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Commissioned Corps Officers (including Commissioned Corps applicants that are professionally boarded) who are interested in applying for this position must send their professional resume (not PHS Curriculum Vitae) and cover letter to CMSCorpsJobs@cms.hhs.gov in lieu of applying through this announcement. The cover letter should specifically explain how you are qualified for this position and draw specific attention to your resume that demonstrates these qualifications. In the subject line of your e-mail please include only the Job Announcement Number. In the body of your e-mail please include your current rank name and serial number. Failure to provide this information may impact your consideration for this position.
Agency contact information
AddressOffice of Enterprise Data and Analytics
7500 Security Blvd
Woodlawn, MD 21244
Once your online application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated to determine your eligibility and qualifications for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another email notification regarding the status of your application.
- March 23-27: The announcement will be open during this period or until midnight the day that 500 applicants apply.
- Early April: First round interviews (Practical Assessment)
- Mid April: Second round interviews (1 hour phone calls)
- Early May: Hiring manager's interviews with qualifying applicants
- Mid-to-late May: Tentative job offers are sent to applicants.
You may check your status online by logging into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login). We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/561960700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.