USAID is the world's premier international development agency and a catalytic actor driving development results. USAID works to help lift lives, build communities, and advance democracy. USAID's work advances U.S. national security and economic prosperity; demonstrates American generosity; and promotes a path to recipient self-reliance and resilience. We operate in five regions of the world: Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Europe and Eurasia.Learn more about this agency
- Assist in the planning, analysis, negotiation, implementation and evaluation of USAID engineering and construction projects in support of the full range of foreign assistance objectives (governing justly and democratically, investing in people, economic growth, peace and stability, and humanitarian assistance). Manage U.S. Government resources, implementation teams, contractors and grantees to achieve specific program objectives and results consistent with overall US domestic and international policy and law.
- Serve as a technical resource to foreign assistance activities involving the project design and implementation of infrastructure and other construction projects. Support engineering and infrastructure activities by researching, reviewing and analyzing data; providing assistance and advice on engineering and construction issues. Assist in coordinating and managing strategies, policies, concepts, procedures, and guidelines for establishing infrastructure or construction projects. Analyze technical constraints to engineering and construction projects and recommend courses of action.
- Coordinate program development, implementation, and performance monitoring plans. Support the contracting activities for architecture and engineering, construction management, and construction services (e.g. design and bid documents for performance-based and incentive contracts, design-build and design-bid-build contracts, construction oversight and management services, etc.). Monitor progress and ensure compliance to design specifications and safety and sanitation standards through inspection of project sites.
- Coordinate assigned activities with other USAID Bureaus and Offices, the Department of State, other USG agencies, and the private sector.
- Perform a variety of duties related to special projects involving program issues that contain complex elements. Assist in managing special cross-cutting initiatives and task force groups to accomplish programmatic goals. These groups may review specific programs at the organization or develop new initiatives in various program areas.
- Provide technical guidance to several areas of emphasis within the overall portfolio; e.g. water and sanitation infrastructure; roads and transportation; energy; hospitals, clinics, schools and other public facilities; housing; etc.
- Provide cost estimations for quantities, cost of materials, equipment or labor to determine project feasibility and value engineering options. Supports project management activities, direction of construction, operations and maintenance activities at project sites.
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of engineering reports, such as bid requests, cost-benefit analyses, environmental impact statements, and feasibility studies descriptions.
- Serve as a technical resource in developing programs and operational plans for national, state, municipality service delivery objectives
- Define and accomplish technical assistance or A&E services for rehabilitation of infrastructure program objectives.
- Support utility sector policy reform efforts that include but are not limited to: operation and maintenance, utility management and administration, cost recovery and sector commercialization.
Occasional travel - A Foreign Service Officer generally spends the majority of their career assigned to the Agency's overseas missions and works in assigned developing countries with a variety of challenges (civil war, political unrest, lack of modern conveniences).
SFS - Advancement to Senior Foreign Service on a merit basis is possible for employees who secure tenure and satisfy the requirements of promotion boards.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/561416500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.