This position is located in the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), Smithsonian Institution. The purpose of this position is to perform scholarly and professional research and curation in a portion of the National Collection embracing the incumbent’s area of specialization.Learn more about this agency
- Independently initiates, develops, and participates in research and fieldwork to investigate the paleobiology and evolution and ecology of marine macro-invertebrate fossils; publishes scholarly research and curates National Collections in specialty area; collaborates with outside researchers.
- Organizes, obtains funds for, and participates in collecting and analyzing specimen-based data to address questions relating to paleobiology.
- Serves as consultant and expert advisor on professional matters in expertise area to Smithsonian, other governmental agencies, colleagues, writers, educational institutions, research foundations, scientific organizations, and general public.
- As requested, develops exhibits plans within area of specialization; conducts attendant research and provides documentation and technical consultation during exhibits planning and construction.
- Develops and maintains collections in area of expertise; assures proper documentation, identification, authentication, and storage of the collection.
- As assigned, serves as Acting Chair of department in the Chair’s absence, and/or, generally on a rotating basis.
50% or less - Occasional
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/541468600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.