You will serve as an Air Traffic Control Specialist for Flight Service Stations in Alaska. There are numerous vacancies to be filled.Learn more about this agency
- This is a developmental Air Traffic Control Specialist (ATCS) position responsible for providing preflight briefings and inflight assistance to pilots, requiring knowledge of the information needed to conduct safe flights. Developmental controllers receive a wide range of training in FSS processes as well as weather, communication, navigational and other equipment. As an ATCS, you will receive pay increases as you successfully complete the progressive phases (benchmarks) of controller training at your assigned facility.
- This announcement is open to those applicants willing to work at any FAA FSS Air Traffic Control Facility in Alaska. Applicant geographic area preferences are for informational purposes only and may not be used in the selection process.
- Prior experience or training in air traffic control is not required. If a candidate applies for and is selected under this temporary trainee announcement, all of the employment conditions associated with this AT-AQ position will apply.
- Individuals who do not successfully complete training at the FAA Academy and all other necessary requirements will have their employment terminated.
- As a new ATCS, you will spend your first several weeks of employment in an intensive training program at the FAA Academy at the Mike Monroney Aeronautical Center in Oklahoma City, OK. While attending academy training, you will be on a temporary appointment. Academy students receive basic air traffic control training at the FAA Academy, which includes complete occupational indoctrination including highlights of Federal employment and basic air traffic training in both a classroom and laboratory environment.
- Upon successful completion of the FAA Academy, continued training will be held at the FAA FSS Academy in Kenai, AK. While attending academy training, you will remain on a temporary appointment. Academy students will receive basic air traffic control training that includes familiarization with the FSS organizational structure and functions, and basic air traffic training in both a classroom and laboratory environment that simulates actual FSS job functions.
- Prior failure of FAA or FSS Academy training or prior declination of permanent facility placement offer after completing Academy training may constitute a basis for non-selection and/or veterans' preference pass over.
- ATCS's will be paid long-term expense rate (per diem) while attending the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK, and also the FAA FSS Academy in Kenai, AK, to help offset daily cost of living expenses. If you are permanently assigned to the Kenai FSS, you will not receive per diem upon assignment to the FAA FSS Academy in Kenai.
- Upon successful completion of the FAA FSS Academy initial training program & other employment requirements, newly hired ATCS's will be offered a permanent appointment at an FAA FSS facility with a basic salary of $51,122, which includes 28.89% locality pay. A cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) will be based on facility assignment and is subject to change. Applicants with prior ATC experience will have their salary set in accordance with the ATCS Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Occasional travel - The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/532718200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.