NOTE: This position is being advertised concurrently under Delegating Examining Unit procedures. If you wish to be considered under competitive procedures, or if you do not meet the area of consideration for this announcement, you may also apply to Job Announcement number: JD10041456CMD. Opens: 8/24/17 Closes: 8/30/17Learn more about this agency
Who May Apply: Applications will be accepted from current and former competitive service Federal employees, and people eligible under special hiring authorities such as the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), Disabilities Program, etc.
Whether you are new to the Federal Government or an experienced professional seeking a career change, you can make history at the National Archives. Our dedicated staff works across a variety of career fields to safeguard the records of the Federal Government - more than 10 billion of them.
In this position, you will serve as an Archives Technician in the Call Center with the Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). The Call Center provides "World Class" customer service and is tasked with continually improving the responsiveness and quality of service provided to the customer. As a member of the Call Center, you will utilize your technical expertise related to military and civilian records for the benefit of veterans, employees and their families, the military services and Federal, state, and local agencies.
Visit our Employee Gallery at www.archives.gov/careers to see the kinds of dynamic projects our staff are undertaking. If you want a career where you can see the difference your work makes, then join the National Archives!
For more information, visit: https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel
This position is be filled at the developmental level, at the full performance level you will perform the following duties:
Call Center members respond to a variety of types of requests for information regarding military and civil service.
- Fields the most complex calls across all record groups and series regarding the status of reference requests which may pertain to fire destroyed and/or damaged records and/or Congressional and/or highly sensitive and/or regarding a high ranking governmental official including the Archivist of the United States, and determines, based on the nature of the request, what records and/or information is available.
- Redirects callers if the request pertains to records not held by NPRC.
- Communicates directly with all levels of customers by telephone, and/or e-mail to obtain clarification of the request or additional information which may facilitate the response.
- Understands and can apply knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and procedures regarding disclosure of personnel and medical information (e.g., Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act, restrictions imposed by the military services).
- Investigates conflicting record information, apparent errors, and/or omissions of record data. Documents issues and findings. Determines and implements the appropriate course of action.
- Participates as a team member in a variety of functions as determined by team decisions, which may include performing work distribution and/or quality assurance and/or administrative team related duties.
- Assist others on the team by providing explanations and guidance to junior team members, which may include formal briefings, regarding the work and work processes.
- Identifies and recommends changes to work processes which have the potential to improve the quality and timeliness of reference services.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles): Applications will be accepted from current and former competitive service Federal employees, and people eligible under special hiring authorities such as the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA), Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA), Disabilities Program, etc.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/477844400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.