This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER, Position Description Number D1193000 and is part of the AZ FMS1, National Guard.NOTE: ERB required for application.
NOTE: Individual must possess and be able to maintain a valid State driver license.
NOTE: Must be able to gain and maintain access to the AZ-ARNG network.
Individual selected will receive a Permanent Appointment after successful completion of a one year trial period.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!Learn more about this agency
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER, WG-5801-6/8, this position is located FMS 1, Phoenix, Arizona. The purpose of this position is to perform limited diagnosis, routine repairs, and maintenance on combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment. May assist higher graded mechanics in the performance of maintenance duties.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
National Guard Membership is required.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: E-1/PVT - E-9/SGM or Warrant Officer Candidate/WOC - W-2/CW2
Compatible Military Assignments: Must possess the following MOS: 88, 91, 92, or 94 series; WOMOS: 91, 92, or 94 series.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
WG-6: Must have at least 12 months of experience or training using common hand tools in making repetitive repairs under close supervision. Experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the simpler and routine duties of the trade.
WG-8: Must have at least 18 months experience or training using common hand and power tools and a small variety of test and measurement devices to make mechanical repairs. Experience removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories. Experience which demonstrates a basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments. Experience demonstrating an understanding of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
The following competencies need to be addressed on the AZ NG 335-2-R Form (for additional space please use MS Word document)
1. Knowledge and understanding of the mechanical makeup, operation, and working relationships of individual systems, and their interrelationships for a variety of combat, tactical, and special purpose vehicles and equipment. A basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles.
2. Ability to read and interpret parts list, manufacturer's repair manuals, technical manuals, diagrams, engineering drawings and schematics. Ability to use reference sources such as federal catalogs, technical manuals, stock lists, or other publications to requisition, identify, or select items for issue or turn-in.
3. Ability to perform limited diagnosis, routine repairs and maintenance on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. Assists higher graded mechanics in the repair and/or overhaul of major systems to include internal combustion engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls.
4. Ability to perform limited diagnoses to determine the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses basic test equipment such as compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters and pressure gauges. Ability to use basic hand and power tools common to the occupation.
5. Ability to conduct readiness and repair inspections of vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Ability to perform preventive maintenance checks and services (PMCS) and ensure vehicles and equipment are correctly serviced and functioning properly.
6. Ability to set up and efficiently operate a tool room to include an effective check-out system, location ID, and prescribed periodic inventories.
7. Working knowledge of shop and bench stock record accountability, management of recoverable items, and requisitioning of repair parts. Ability to set up, operate and inventory a storage and issue system for supplies and work order repair parts.
8. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to include skills in using computers and office productivity software to organize and convey information relevant to supply and maintenance operations.
Background checks and security clearance
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
2. Completed AZNG Form 335-2-R,
3. Completed OF-306 (must have wet signature)
4. ERB required for application.
5. Other Supporting Documentation (any documents that will demonstrate your qualifications during the review process)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
5636 E MCDOWELL ROAD
PHOENIX, AZ 85008
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Army National Guard Units (Title 32/Title 5), what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change in the workplace or the way things are customarily done that provides an equal employment opportunity to an individual with a disability. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) must provide reasonable accommodations:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/492167600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.