U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

What is a qualifying educational institution or program?

Qualifying educational institutions/programs include:

  • A high school/GED whose curriculum has been approved by a state or local governing body, or a home-school curriculum.
  • Any accredited technical or vocational school.
  • A two or four year college or university.
  • A graduate or professional school.
  • A post-secondary home-school curriculum.

To determine if a school or program is accredited, refer to the U.S. Department of Education’s Institutional Accreditation System

A post-secondary certificate program must have been completed at a qualifying educational institution equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.

Education outside of the United States must be equivalent to education gained in conventional/accredited U.S. program to be acceptable for Federal employment. If you received a degree abroad, you may need to get your degree reviewed by a U.S. based credential evaluation service.. Contact the hiring agency for more information.

  • Contact us

    Please use the form below to contact us. We will get back to you within one business day. Your interest and patience are appreciated.

    USAJOBS does not provide direct phone support. The form below will allow you to send an email to the Help Desk where you can request assistance by phone or email.

    All fields are required unless otherwise noted

    Please provide your phone number in case your issue cannot be resolved via email.

    Please do not include your Social Security Number.

    (2000 characters remaining)