Get started with USAJOBS
With a USAJOBS profile you can:
- Create or upload up to five distinct resumes
- Search for jobs by agency, occupation, location and more
- Save job searches and get automatic notifications
- Save jobs that interest you
Where do I start?
1. Create a login.gov account
USAJOBS is now using login.gov for our sign-in process. login.gov is a service that offers secure and private online access to government programs, such as federal benefits, services and applications. Once you create a login.gov account, you can sign into USAJOBS and create a profile.
2. Create a USAJOBS profile
Your profile includes all the information you need to apply to a federal job; your name, address and other important information that are submitted for each job application. It’s important to create a profile, because we can use this information to improve your job search results and help you fill in parts of a job application.
With a profile, you can also upload resumes, save jobs and save job searches.
3. Create or upload a resume
You can either upload a resume or create one using our Resume Builder. You can store up to five unique resumes within your profile—this will help you target your resume to different types of jobs.
If you upload a resume:
- The document size must be less than 3 MB.
- The document must be in an acceptable format such as: JPG, JPEG, PNG, RTF, PDF, or Word (DOC or DOCX).
You can also create a resume using our Resume Builder—we help create a resume for you by asking you to enter information such as previous work experiences and skills.
Important tip: If you save five resumes and want to add a new one, you’ll have to delete one of the existing five.
What to include in a resume
When applying for a federal job, it’s important to clearly describe how your skills and work experiences align to the selection criteria defined by the job announcement. You should tailor your resume to the job announcement to which you are applying.
4. Search for jobs
Take advantage of the USAJOBS search tool-the more details you provide, the more effective your results will be.
Filter you job search
You can search for jobs by keyword, occupation or job category, agency, location, salary range and pay grade.
Save searches and receive notifications
You can set up automated job searches based on your search criteria. USAJOBS will email you (daily, weekly or monthly) when there are new jobs entered into the database that meet your needs.
5. Review the job announcement
Once you find a job you’re interested in, read the entire job announcement and pay close attention to the:
- This job is open to and Who may apply sections to see if you’re eligible for the job.
- Qualifications section to learn what skills and experience you need for the job.
How to Apply section to learn about agency specific instructions, required documents, and contact information.
- Which jobs am I eligible to apply for?
- What types of documents might I need to provide?
I found a job I am interested in, what’s next?
1. Prepare your job application
We will guide you through a five-step process to prepare your application, including attaching a resume and other required documents.
2. Submit your application
Once your application is ready, you’ll be transferred to the hiring agency application system and at that point you move into the hiring agency process.
3. Check your USAJOBS account for status updates
You can check the status of your application in the application section of USAJOBS.