This is a career ladder position requiring the incumbent to progressively perform more independently to develop the experience required to reach the full performance level
Human Capital Liaison Activities
- Serves as a point of contact within the USBG to provide support to managers, supervisors, interns, volunteers, visiting scientists and graduate students on the full range of Human Resources (HR) policies, processes and procedures; Exercises program liaison for a broad range of human capital practices.
- Assists with personnel actions.
- Coordinates the recruitment, reviewing of applications, interviewing and selection of interns, volunteers and graduate students; Administers recruitment in collaboration with other USBG employees to organize panels to determine acceptance of scientists.
- Submits badging requests when needed and ensures participation in the USBG Welcome Experience.
- Conducts basic and advanced training for new and continuing volunteers; Plans and implements training experiences and events for interns, visiting scientists and graduate students.
- Plans and implements events and other means of recognizing volunteers for their service.
- Manages volunteer database (e.g. Volgistics, which includes tracking hours, scheduling etc.).
- Collaborates with local and national organizations/agencies/universities to accomplish an increase diversity in plant science, horticulture and public garden administration
- Promotes and markets the programs to target audiences by working with the USBG communications team to share information on websites and social media; Assists the communications team to keep the USBG website up-to-date.
- Responds to inquiries made by potential candidates.
- Conducts information briefings and presentations about the programs and their successes.
- Prepares data and reports for these briefings to share with leadership and broader communities
- Provides support and assists in assessing and overseeing volunteer performance; Prepares information for measuring accomplishments of the volunteer program and assists in gathering metrics for productivity.
- Prepares monthly and annual volunteer program reports.
- Works with USBG supervisors to assess the areas of USBG work where volunteers and interns are needed and to plan the volunteer and intern workforce.
- Researches volunteer program issues and benchmarks other programs.
- Represents the USBG regarding volunteer programs to the horticultural consortium of the greater Washington area and to professional societies such as the American Public Garden Association.
- Provides administrative support for the intern, volunteer, visiting scientist and graduate students programs; Provides logistical support for meetings as well as prepares materials and PowerPoint presentations.
- Participates in studies and analysis to achieve greater economy and efficiency of the programs and administrative and management operations of these programs.
- Assists with various reports, reviews, evaluations and research activities; Assists in developing sampling plans and procedures for evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of administrative operations and programs in meeting organizational goals and objectives;
- Uses advanced functions of a wide range of office automation software to perform such tasks as preparation of reports and briefing documents, maintenance of fiscal records and tracking the status of a number of important projects assigned to the office.