The incumbent serves as the Staff Officer in the OPHS, Laboratory Regulatory Operations (LRO). This is an interdisciplinary position and may be filled in any of the job series listed. In addition to the specialized experience requirements, applicants must meet the educational requirements for at least one of the series described in the announcement. Applicants may only be appointed to job series/position titles for which they meet all experience and educational requirements.Learn more about this agency
- Participates in providing key leadership and program direction as a scientific professional in the critical mission related process to modify and improve the efficiency of existing food safety testing programs.
- Establishes overall scope and operational plans for their projects in consultation with senior staff members and/or the Executive Associate for Laboratory Services (EALS).
- Maintains surveillance of significant developments related to the assigned program area, prepares analyses of the implications of these developments, and recommends program modifications.
- Develops, publicizes, and garners support for the program agenda by meeting with other FSIS program officials, key executives within FSIS and USDA, and other interested parties.
- Assist Senior Staff Officer with planning, developing, reviewing, and establishing laboratory information QA/QC procedures for use within all FSIS laboratories to ensure the quality system is implemented correctly and consistently.
- Monitors laboratory information system and data processing QC procedures, information system documentation, and system validation records to ensure the quality of laboratory data and testing results are compliant Agency procedures/standards.
- Assures current/valid QC methods are utilized and recommends changes and/or enhancements to laboratory information processing procedures/strategies.
- Supports the Senior Staff Officer Configuration Manager (CM) in the development and execution of the configuration management program for the FSIS Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) in accordance with FSIS and USDA directives.
- Serves as an information resource between all Field Service Laboratories (FSL) and representatives of other FSIS program areas, federal agencies, state and local governments, and industry on matters pertaining to laboratory information systems.
- Participates in audits pertaining to the FSLs and addresses laboratory information system audit findings.
- Assist Senior Staff Officer with establishing overall goals, objectives, priorities, and operational plans of projects and continually assesses and adjusts them accordingly in consultation with the EALS.
- Advises both technical and non-technical audiences on laboratory testing programs, methods, procedures and data management at meetings and conferences.
- Conducts studies, projects and surveys which may be broad in scope and significance to evaluate the effectiveness of both operational and public health performance related to food safety testing program implementation and modernization.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/616134700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.