This vacancy is for a Supervisory Research Plant Pathologist or Geneticist, Research Leader, and Location Coordinator for the Small Grains and Potato Germplasm Research Unit at Aberdeen, Idaho. Research objectives for the research unit are broad, encompassing breeding and pathology of small grains and potatoes, cereal chemistry and cereal chemistry genetics, small grains germplasm maintenance and evaluation, and rainbow trout genetics, nutrition, physiology, and feed technology.
Learn more about this agency
- Leads a program and performs research to develop, evaluate, and apply genomic molecular tools for germplasm enhancement. The current vacancy is assigned to work on small grains (barley and oats).
- Develops collaborations and communicates technical information pertaining to identifying, mapping and developing genetic molecular markers for disease resistance and quality traits.
- Collects, analyzes, summarizes, and publishes technical information pertaining to improved cultivars meeting the needs of conventional and specialty markets for both dryland and irrigated production systems in the Western U.S.
- Works closely with important agricultural stakeholders including growers' groups, seed companies, plant breeders and research colleagues to optimally transfer USDA research technology to a broad audience.
- Prepares written work products based on research to be reviewed and/or published in professional articles, publications, and technical abstracts.
- Maintains and enhances the research creativity and productivity of the unit.
- Hires personnel and manages the human, fiscal, and physical resources of the unit.
- Serves as the unit fund holder.
- Provides technical information and consultation, both internal and external, to Agricultural Research Service (ARS).
- Ensures the proper interpretation and reporting of scientific research, results, and information.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614665000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.