The National Field Office is responsible for the inspection of dairy products and dairy processing operations. The Equipment Specialist performs equipment sanitary design evaluations and plant survey inspections of dairy processing plants by evaluating plant premises, equipment, operations and products to determine compliance with official specifications and resulting eligibility for official plant approval.Learn more about this agency
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluates prototype or production models of equipment presented for review and makes recommendations for modification or correction to bring the equipment into compliance with U.S. specifications.
- Consults with engineering firms on complex design and fabrication concepts. Is responsible for determining if equipment can be marketed as "USDA Accepted".
- Conducts field review of sanitary designs for dairy and food commodity processing equipment and processing facilities.
- Prepares written reports documenting the results of reviews and consultations.
- Serves as an Agency representative on 3-A Sanitary Standards and Accepted Practices Workgroups and subcommittees.
- Evaluates the plant's facilities, processing equipment, processing/packaging methods, sanitary procedures, and quality improvement programs for the raw milk used in the manufacture of dairy products.
- Prepares detailed inspection reports covering a large number of carefully examined items.
- Meets with plant management to explain plant evaluation and makes recommendations for correction of conditions that are not in compliance with specifications.
- Selects representative samples of product for test weighing and for container and product quality examination; submits to the AMS Science Division Laboratory for chemical and bacteriological analysis.
76% or greater - You may be expected to travel 76% or greater for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614026900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.