These positions are located with USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region, Region 6. These positions are located on a wildland fire crew. The purpose of the position is wildland fire suppression/management/control as a specialized firefighter with responsibility for the operation and maintenance of specialized tools or equipment.Learn more about this agency
For additional information about the duties and location, please contact Brian Ebert at email@example.com.
- Duties listed are at full performance grade GS-05 level.
- Independently performs recurring fire suppression duties on a helitack crew as a senior firefighter.
- Loads helicopter personnel and cargo considering methods, weight distribution, necessity for securing, total weight, etc. and completes manifests of personnel and equipment being transported to the fire or other work site.
- Inventory and inspect helicopter accessories, fire tools and equipment. Assures that needed tools and equipment are available for firefighting tasks.
- Gather and consider information on weather data, topography, fuel types and fire behavior in responding to wildland fire incidents.
- Responsible for operation and maintenance of specialized equipment used to respond to wildland and prescribed fire situations. Accomplishes emergency repairs as necessary to permit continued use of equipment.
- Participate in wildland fire and safety training in the techniques, practices and methods of fire suppression and in the safe, efficient operation and use of tools, equipment and vehicles used in fireline activities.
- Participate in crew proficiency checks and drills, safety sessions and fire critiques. Ensures own and other's welfare and safety in all aspects of the assignment.
- Serve as an experienced firefighter on a hand crew or other related fire suppression crews performing fire suppression and/or fuel management duties under the most adverse conditions of climate, fuels and terrain.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnights on fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613332800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.