These positions are part of the National Archives and Records Administration, Research Services, Special Media Division and Electronic Records Division. As an ARCHIVES TECHNICIAN, you will perform non-professional, quasi-professional and technical work that supports access to archival holdings and physical and intellectual control over records. The work encompasses reference, researcher assistance, accessioning, processing, preserving, and reformatting analog and electronic records.Learn more about this agency
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-7. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Complete archival work with one or more of the following record types: maps, architectural and engineering plans, aerial film, moving images (film and video), sound recordings, photographs, posters and other graphic material, supporting textual documentation, and electronic records in multiple formats (e.g. electronic textual, structured data, email, geospatial, moving images, audio, and photography).
- Provide written or oral "first-line" reference assistance and consultation, respond to all forms of inquiry concerning NARA's archival holdings, in original or surrogate format, by using complex finding aid systems and related archival sources, in both electronic and analog formats.
- Perform detailed and complex arrangement work following a plan (or guidance) approved by supervisor or team leader.
- Independently evaluate the physical condition of records in the course of other duties and alert supervisor or other designated staff to condition problems that limit access or threaten the safety of records.
- Utilize NARA systems, software, and tools to verify and to preserve electronic records in multiple formats (e.g. electronic textual, structured data).
- Prepare online catalog descriptions of holdings at all levels according to NARA lifecycle standards, policies, and procedures.
- Enter and update file-level metadata for electronic records using NARA systems.
- Assist in accessioning, processing, and disposal of all record types under the guidance of an archivist or archives specialist.
- Monitor researcher use of records and associated equipment and direct researchers to appropriate NARA resources as necessary.
- Complete pulls and refiles of records for use by researchers onsite, and for various internal and external work requests; update associated tracking systems.
- Assist in the digitization of analog holdings along with the creation of corresponding metadata
- Utilize multiple Point of sale (POS) and case management systems to process fees and ensuring customer requests are updated.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/611985200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.