NASA Ames Research Center (ARC) is currently seeking interested candidates for the Deputy Director of Engineering position. The Deputy Director, in partnership with the Director, plans, directs, and coordinates the engineering, development, and operational activities of the Engineering Directorate.Learn more about this agency
This announcement has been modified to extend the closing date.
This position reports to the Director of Engineering. The Deputy Director Engineering:
In partnership with the Director, plans, directs, and coordinates the engineering, development, and operational activities of the Engineering Directorate.
- Promotes and applies state of the art engineering practices in development of hardware, facility programs and projects and leads the Center-wide coordination of engineering policies.
- Develops and strengthens the Center's core competency across a broad spectrum of engineering
disciplines, including electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, thermal engineering, mission design, aerodynamics and scientific instrument development.
- Develops and manages small spaceflight missions, from initial mission planning and development,
including systems engineering and project management, through mission execution and operations.
- Develops and strengthens NASA-ARC's mission operations capabilities through the Directorate's
Multi-Mission Operations Center (MMOC), in service to missions from across the Center and external partners.
- Collaborates with other directorates and organizations, to define and develop instrumentation and technologies of strategic importance to the Center's priorities and lead/participate in project teams.
- Supports the Center advocacy efforts to acquire new business, directs advanced engineering studies in support of Center proposals, manages and provides technical oversight for research, technology development, validation, and technology transfer activities for small satellite missions, and provide engineering support for all Center activities involving the design, development, machining, fabrication, modification, assembly, and inspection of unique or one-of-a-kind research hardware systems.
- Maintains and enhances this Directorate's role as one of the Agency's primary competencies in small spacecraft and Class D missions, including overseeing and providing project planning and control for all the Engineering Directorate lead projects at NASA Ames.
- Responsibilities require substantial coordination across the Agency, and other government agencies involved in space project research, academia, industrial partners, and foreign governments involved in international partnership missions.
- Serves on Agency-wide or inter-governmental committees to define and explore new spaceflight mission concepts, manufacturing quality and efficiencies, and engineering management efforts within the Federal Government.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/609505200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.