The USPS OIG is seeking a highly qualified applicant to fill our Data Scientist position in the Research Insight Solution Center (RISC), located in Arlington, VA.Learn more about this agency
RISC Data Analytics conducts innovative research and analysis on Postal Service operations for investigations and audits. Our team develops analytical tools that assist investigators to identify leads and develop cases. We develop analytical methodologies for audit that frequently involve statistics or complex, multi-step analyses
The successful candidate will work extensively in a collaborative, team environment that involves audit and investigative clients, subject matter experts, project team leaders, and executive leaders. Our work involves a strong client-focus, requiring effective written and verbal communication skills to understand the needs of the client and to give structure to often undefined problems. Our team also requires candidates with strong analytical skills to develop fitting methodologies that maximize the impact for the client and allow successful project execution. The candidate will exhibit strong written and oral communications to document analytical methodologies, brief executive leadership, stakeholders, peers, and present results to various audiences.
Candidates will be evaluated on the skills that they possess that are directly related to the duties of the position and the experience, education and training that indicate the applicant's ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. Only those candidates who meet all qualification and eligibility requirements and who submit the required information by 11:59 PM EST on 08/06/2021 will be considered.
The USPS OIG uses a Pay Banding system, which is equivalent to the Federal GS scale. Grade and salary determinations will be made based upon a candidate's education and professional experience.
This position is being advertised at the Journey Band level, equivalent to a GS-9 through a GS-13. The salary range for this position is $60,129.00 - $134,798.00. The salary figures include locality pay. Promotion potential to a GS-13 is at management's discretion.
Please note that the duties and responsibilities associated with this position may vary based upon the agency's needs at the time of hire. The following description of major duties and responsibilities is only intended to give applicants a general overview of the expectations.
- Research, design, develop, and enhance analytics solutions using a range of analytics techniques, methods, and tools.
- Actively participate in multiple projects that will vary in business knowledge.
- Responsible for researching data acquisition, documentation, technical analysis, visualization, and communication.
- Developing initial prototype analytics that employ statistical methodologies to fused data sources.
- Collaborates with internal clients and subject matter experts to understand business processes, gather requirements, develop methodologies, tools, and analyses and communicates results.
- Exhibits a problem-solving, collaborative, positive attitude to solving client problems using an analytical toolkit that includes computer-based modeling.
- Shows the commitment and a capacity to master conceptually complex methods and methodologies and communicate results simply and persuasively, without technical jargon.
- Educates and enables the organization to use new analytic tools and methodologies.
- Demonstrates ability for logical thinking and the clear and rigorous written documentation of methodologies.
- Ability to communicate results persuasively both verbally and in writing to technical and general audiences and in executive briefings.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/608412800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.