THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN (Title 5), Position Description Number T5151000 and is part of the IL USPFO, National Guard.
As a ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN (Title 5), GS-0525-8, you will:
- Provide analysis, validation, processing, and correction of financial transactions and issues involving a full range of accounting services.
- Suggest specific changes to state guidelines, development of control mechanisms, additional training for customers, and specific guidance related to procedural handling of documents and information.
- Coordinate with internal/external financial and program management personnel to resolve issues and/or prevent accounting errors.
- Research, interpret, analyze, and apply regulations, policies, procedures, and legal decisions to resolve complex fiscal issues and problems. Regardless of the technical difficulties encountered.
- Use initiative to guide and inform individuals who are skeptical or uncooperative in order to provide information, take corrective action and make recommendations to comply with laws and regulations.
- Analyze and evaluate data to conduct a variety of fiscal reconciliations, reviews, and account adjustments.
- Develop variations in approaches to fit specific functions while often encountering incomplete, unreliable, or conflicting data in the process of work performance.
- Validate transactions and performs research to resolve inconsistencies.
- Use computer master file systems, document processing, and the effects of transactions on existing records to modify processes in accounts while protecting historical data.
- Ensure adjustments relating to account balances, contract modifications, collections, disbursements, garnishments, or other actions are performed accurately and timely.
- Reconstruct inaccurate accounts, gather, organize information, and resolve problems referred by personnel.
- Trace transactions identifying the source of discrepancies, develop corrective actions required to bring accounts into agreement.
- Compile and verify the accuracy of accounting data to prepare statements and reports, schedules, and analysis of accounting transactions.
- Use fiscal accounting and related interfaced systems to provide input and adjustments to the fiscal accounting database of record.
- Perform fact finding, research, and investigations to identify, analyze, and recommend solutions regarding fiscal accounting activity.
- Rely on experience and judgment rather than guides to fill in gaps, identify sources of information, and make working assumptions about what transpired.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/606605800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.