This is the position of Radio Astronomer with the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) group at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA. The EHT is a pioneering Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) that achieves an angular resolution sufficient to image supermassive black holes.
The incumbent will develop next-generation software systems and pipelines for the correlation, calibration and analysis of VLBI data for the EHT project and future arrays.Learn more about this agency
Works with the EHT science community to formulate EHT software requirements and determine technical specifications of new and modified software; conceives and contributes to integration and testing protocols for new and existing data pipelines; designs and codes new software; and coordinates the documentation and maintenance of EHT software. He/she will
- Lead investigations into the data calibration and analysis pipeline of the EHT, including the design of data processing frameworks, determination of a formal testing protocol, characterization of uncertainties, and feedback to generate operational protocols to ensure optimal data acquisition.
- Assist in the organization, specifications, and production of EHT reduced scientific data products, and support their proper use in downstream analysis.
- Develop new algorithms for VLBI data processing and analysis, including correlation, calibration, time domain, and imaging studies.
- Support software development and computing best practices across the EHT collaboration.
- Lead studies of next-generation EHT enhancements. These include the development of a cloud-computing framework for VLBI correlation, tools to evaluate the relative merits of new site locations, including space platforms, new imaging algorithms to study sources
with rapid variability, and the evaluation of existing EHT data pipelines to identify areas of improvement.
- Design and conduct astronomical observations for both testing and for original scientific research using EHT data.
- Prepare papers describing data, techniques, results and interpretations for publication in scientific or technical journals. Give presentations at scientific or technical meetings and conferences, and within the CfA.
- Contribute to the preparation of written reports, observing and funding proposals, white papers, and research articles.
- Participate in implementing operational enhancements at EHT sites through integration of software and hardware.
Occasional travel - Domestic and international travel may be required to attend scientific conferences and/or technical collaboration meetings.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/606123800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.