WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) DIVISION? The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
See Other Information for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST, IBM DATA MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST DO? An Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Data Management) uses a wide variety of information, knowledge, and tools to develop, modify, and administer IRS IBM databases used to store and retrieve data and to develop standards for the handling of data. In this specific role, as a IBM Data Management Specialist, you may be called upon to lead significant projects assigned to the local IRS installation or lead the local implementation of IRS-wide IBM Data Management projects. This work often involves difficult and complex problems in the administration of IBM databases, in the modification of data elements, retrieval, and reporting of information to customers from the databases, and insuring the security of data. The solutions of problems and issues have application outside the organization, and are adaptable to many customers or IRS sites.
As a Information Technology Specialist (Data Management), IBM Data Management Specialist, you will:
- Design, development and maintenance of IBM databases.
- Monitor and optimize database performance and tuning IBM database operations.
- Generate complex queries and reports.
- Participate in the design of data mining and data warehousing systems.
- Develop of data dictionaries, data models, metadata repositories, and other data IBM management tools.
- Produce database design schema for integrating source data into IBM data management systems.
- Ensure compliance with data management standards.
- Recommend new or modified standards to increase efficiency.
- Recommend performance enhancements such as increasing storage capacity or modifying interfaces.
- Plan and coordinate the migration of data to a newer version of a IBM database management system.
- Perform a wide range of IBM database administration functions, including running test queries, troubleshooting database problems, maintaining version control of database entities, advising customers on new database features, and leading studies to evaluate the effectiveness of current database methods and procedures.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/605215000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.