Serving as a Technician for Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ), you will perform routine inspections involving quarantine of agricultural products and conduct other activities to support the accomplishment of the Agriculture Quarantine Inspection (AQI) program. Under the general oversight of an Officer, you will perform a variety of tasks both in and outdoors, using experienced judgment to determine which problems can be handled independently and which should be referred.Learn more about this agency
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, organizes, schedules, and conducts inspections of Federal and/or State agricultural quarantines.
- Communicates with passengers to determine if contaminated agricultural products are in baggage and explains relevant regulations as appropriate.
- Inspects passenger baggage for restricted or prohibited agricultural commodities, by-products, contaminates and pests that are potentially dangerous to the nation's agriculture.
- Seizes prohibited material; seals and safeguards prohibited, restricted, or infested commodities and disposes of it in accordance with established procedures.
- Safeguards and transports quarantine material interceptions (QMI's) from inspection area to contraband area.
- Examines quarantined material for suspect agricultural pests, completes pest identification documentation and submits to an Officer for review.
- Provides on-the-job training on predeparture procedures to new intermittent and term employees.
- Conducts random compliance checks to assure APHIS stickers are evident on all baggage, to assure the airline is not accepting any uninspected baggage.
- Resolves common problems using prescribed procedures, compiles and summarizes data obtained.
Occasional travel - Travel may be requested and these assignments may require extended work in remote/rural areas.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603809500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.