This position is located in the Applied Research and Methods (ARM), Center for Statistics and Data Analysis (CSDA). The CSDA contributes to the quality of GAO's work by providing assistance with data using descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics and statistical methods. To learn more about ARM and its Centers, please visit us on the web at: ARMLearn more about this agency
The Center for Statistics and Data Analysis is seeking an experienced professional to serve as a Senior Mathematical Statistician or Statistician to provide consultative services and support to mission teams on the selection and implementation of appropriate statistical methodologies for engagements in accordance with GAO and professional standards. Duties involve, but are not limited to, the following:
• Participating in aspects of design, researchable question development, data collection and analysis, message development, and report writing with respect to sampling, statistical, and analytical issues, and ensures the quality and value of the final product.
• Developing and/or applying methods based on statistical theory to implement statistical modeling techniques, such as multivariate and regression analyses, or complex sample design, selection and analysis.
• Conducting complex statistical analyses using various statistical software, such as SAS, Stata, and R; interpreting and presenting statistical results, and advising staff on statistical matters.
• Preparing and reviewing technical documentation related to statistical analysis, interpretation of statistical results, sample design, or sample estimates in a manner appropriate for the audience.
• Advising on how data should be collected for engagements. Selects, refines, organizes, and presents factual information and analysis in support of engagement objectives. In collaboration with engagement team members, decides on scope, form, content, and depth of analysis. Develops sample designs for probability and non-probability samples, performs sample selection, and produces estimates from sample data derived from probability samples.
• Contributing to primary data collection. Evaluates and analyzes data to determine relevance and reliability. As required, performs indexing and referencing tasks to support sample designs, estimates, and statistical analyses.
• Developing findings and recommendations and preparing GAO products that provide factual and analytical information in a clear, balanced manner that meets the needs of congressional clients. Performs statistical analyses, interprets and presents statistical results, assists team members to identify how data from samples and statistical analyses support findings and recommendations, and advises staff on matters relating to statistical issues, data analysis, and evidence.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603773100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.