The OEA's functions include the development, coordination, and dissemination of FDA communications and outreach to the news media and various stakeholders; publication of materials for consumers, patients, and healthcare professionals, including FDA's Consumer Updates and the FDA Voice blog.Learn more about this agency
To learn more about OEA visit, https://www.fda.gov/about-fda/office-commissioner/office-external-affairs
- Advises the Commissioner, Chief of Staff, Associate Commissioner for External Affairs and other senior coordinating officials on public information and agency programs relating to media communications.
- Directs and manages all aspects of the Office of Media Affairs (OMA) commonly referred to as the "Press Office".
- Plans, directs and executes media relations efforts to inform and educate general and specialized public about FDA programs, actions and accomplishments.
- Serves as spokesperson for FDA on high-profile and sensitive agency issues.
- Briefs the Commissioner and other senior leaders for agency media events.
- Cultivates and maintains effective working relationships with members of the media, particularly with FDA "beat" reporters.
- Facilitates press conferences, media briefings, media availability and media interviews with agency senior officials and prepares officials on advisable conduct during agency news events.
- Provides expert advice and guidance on all aspects of communication to press officers, subject matter experts, principals and other agency officials.
- Acts quickly and effectively as a senior communication counsel to staff as well as senior officials in providing sound media relations advice for major roll outs, agency announcements and key initiatives.
- Responds to questions and/or criticism for members of the news media concerning sensitive and complex subjects.
- Serves as immediate supervisor to GS-15 public affairs specialists. Assigns work, and reviews and evaluates completed work.
- Serves as Agency focal point for formulation and dissemination of public warnings as well as general news of FDA activities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603546000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.