SummaryNOTE: This announcement has been extended. Applicants may update their application through the closing date of 9/30/2021.Learn more about this agency
This is an OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT in support of critical hiring shortages in the VA. The initial cut-off date for referral of eligible applications will be June 7, 2021 and applicants will be referred on an 'as needed' basis.
NOTE: Announcement will remain open until no longer needed but no later than September 30, 2021.
This announcement is for the Medical Support Assistant (MSA) GS-05, which is the full performance level for MSAs. At this level, the MSA independently performs a full range of duties related to the delivery of healthcare services in an inpatient or outpatient setting and advises clinical staff on current administrative processes, and support work relating to the care and treatment given to patients in inpatient units, outpatient clinics, patient scheduling call centers, Care in the Community Support Staff (CitC), and ancillary support services. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Answer phones, greeting patients, relaying messages to appropriate staff inside or outside of the unit, scheduling appointments, including interpreting and verifying provider orders in accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines
- Schedule, cancel, re-schedule patient appointments and/or consults
- Enter no-show information and monitor appointment requests from multiple electronic sources
- Participate in huddles with other MSAs and/or clinic staff to determine the daily needs of the clinic
- Monitor both inpatient and outpatient appointments in areas of responsibility
- Verify and update demographics and insurance information when patients check-in for appointments
- Coordinate administrative functions relating to emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals and determines appointment type based on the patient's eligibility status (i.e., TRICARE, sharing agreements, collaterals, research patient, VA employee, etc.)
- Serve as an initial point of contact for the units, clinics, patient, call centers, CitC, to include, but not limited to, scheduling patient appointments, tracking, reviewing, and responding to electronic orders, consults, and other elements in the electronic medical record and medical systems
- Utilize practical knowledge of computerized data entry, information processing systems and software related to patient care, the healthcare system's organization and services, basic rules and regulations governing visitors and patient treatment
- Apply, knowledge of standard procedures, utilizing medical records, and medical terminology
Pay Schedule: The salary range listed in this announcement is a Base-Line Salary for a full-time work schedule. Starting salary will be set based on locality (which may include a special pay rate depending upon location), as well as FT, PT or Intermittent employment.
PCS Expenses: Not Available.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases.
Paid Time Off: Depending on your leave tier, receive 13 to 26 days paid time off per year, including 10 paid federal holidays; 13 sick days annual with no limitation on accumulation.
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years' vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA.
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement).
For More Information on Benefits: https://www.vacareers.va.gov/Benefits/EmploymentBenefits
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/602259900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.