OIG is organized into seven operational units: the Immediate Office of the Inspector General, Office of the Counselor, Office of Audits and Evaluations, Office of Healthcare Inspections, Office of Investigations, Office of Management and Administration, and Office of Special Reviews. In addition to the Washington, DC, headquarters, OIG has offices located in more than 60 locations throughout the country.Learn more about this agency
The Medical Officer is located in the VA Office of Inspector General’s (OIG), Office of Healthcare Inspections (OHI) and serves as a Medical Consultant. He or she will conduct clinical case evaluations of VA care, thereby enabling OHI to provide objective, impartial, and independent medical assessments to the Inspector General, VA’s Secretary, and the U.S. Congress. The incumbent may also undertake larger system-wide reviews of VA health care and provide consultative and technical support to OIG’s Offices of Audit and Investigations. The ideal candidate will be an excellent clinician recently engaged in active clinical practice, with training and experience in psychiatry, although highly qualified candidates from other specialties will be considered.
This position can be filled in any of the following VAOIG locations: Arlington, VA; Asheville, NC; Aurora, CO; Austin, TX; Baltimore, MD; Battle Creek, MI; Bay Pines, FL; Bedford, MA; Buffalo, NY; Canandaigua, NY; Cleveland, OH; Columbia, SC; Dallas, TX; Atlanta, GA; San Diego, CA; Decatur, GA; Denver, CO; Fayetteville, NC; Gainesville, FL; Hines, IL; Houston, TX; Jackson, MS; Kansas City, MO; Katy, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Long Beach, CA; North Little Rock, AR; Los Angeles, CA; Lyons, NJ; Manchester, NH; Martinez, CA; Miramar, FL; Minneapolis, MN; Montgomery, AL; Nashville, TN; New Orleans, LA; New York City, NY; Newark, NJ; Oakland, CA; Orlando, FL; Phoenix, AZ; Pittsburgh, PA; Portland, OR; Richmond, VA; Sacramento, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; San Antonio, TX; Seattle, WA; Spokane, WA; Tallahassee, FL; Trenton, NJ; Washington DC; West Palm Beach, FL
As a Medical Officer, you will:
- Conduct highly technical clinical case evaluations of individual episodes of care in order to provide informed medical opinions as to the appropriateness, and quality of medical care provided.
- Provide technical medical direction to OHI regional office employees in planning, developing, coordinating, monitoring and implementing a nationwide program of medical care program evaluations, inspections, and special reviews at VHA medical centers, medical networks, and headquarters program offices.
- Provide medical direction and oversight to OHI regional office inspectors performing coordinating efforts with OIG regional offices and headquarters staff in the research and analysis required to develop program evaluation proposals for annual work plans.
- Participate with the AIG/OHI and senior office managers in planning meetings for the purpose of scheduling inspections/projects, and provide technical medical assistance and direction for OHI activities conducting national inspections and medical care program evaluations.
- Assist senior OHI managers in directing the conduct of comprehensive medical care program evaluations and in-depth program and policy research in a broad range of VHA headquarters and national program elements, and more than 600 individual VHA healthcare facilities nationwide.
50% or less - Frequently travel nationwide under tight deadlines. The incumbent should anticipate frequent walking and standing as a component of this travel.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/602209900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.