We are seeking a scientist who will participate in, as well as, lead field studies and perform comparative planetology of volcanic features. The position requires the ability to perform research, lead teams, mentor students, and secure funding to conduct field studies. The incumbent will work on multiple teams, as a leader or as a team member.Learn more about this agency
- Duties described below are at the full-performance level. Duties assigned at a lower grade level will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity; duties will be commensurate with the grade of selected employee.
- Develops, leads, and submits proposals to secure funding for personally performed research and any supported students/postdoctoral researchers.
- Mentors students, from summer interns to post-doctoral researchers working alongside the incumbent; supports the career development of early career scientists, supports preparation of manuscripts, proposals, as as well as seeking employment.
- Participates in, and leads field studies of terrestrial sites that serve as analogues of planetary surfaces; develops field campaigns, secures funding for such campaigns, and leads the identification of science goals for campaigns.
- Performs analysis of scientific data, including but not limited to data from planetary missions, field studies of terrestrial sites, and models for the formation and evolution of volcanic terrains.
- Presents research results at workshops and conferences, as well as publish results as peer-reviewed publications in journals.
- Submits proposals to NASA research programs, announcements of opportunity, instrument development opportunities, and Goddard internal opportunities for funding. Supports proposals as a Co-Investigator for both Goddard-led and external proposals.
- Supports NASA activities, including serving on review panels, supporting NASA events (both public and internal), action teams, and other requests from the Center or NASA HQ.
- Works with Goddard scientists as well as colleagues outside of Goddard to build proposal teams to support funded research and field studies.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600514400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.