This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Environmental Satellite, Data, and Information Service (NESDIS), National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) with one vacancy in Stennis Space Center, MS.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NSDIS-NCEI-2021-0019, which is open to Status Candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.Learn more about this agency
As a Physical Scientist, you will perform the following duties:
- Participate in the organization’s environmental data programs, developing knowledge, skills and abilities to provide access to environmental and support data collected by National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), academia and partner agencies.
- Develop access systems and populate online databases and systems to enable discovery of and access to original and processed environmental data and derived products. Document data in standard metadata format. Monitor and report scientific and technological changes impacting the environmental data repository and services.
- Assist in providing long-term stewardship of, and access to, data and products, ensuring their quality and usefulness to the project and future customers.
- Assist higher level specialists in the development of new techniques and approaches to solve problems using advanced sciences.
- Act as point of contact within the organization for international and national data providers that submit data, when needed, and verify quality. Work with environmental data providers to ensure their archive and access needs are met, while staying abreast of best practices and technological advances that need to be accommodated, and providing regular updates on archive statistics.
Occasional travel - Up to 10% of domestic travel may be required for this position.
3 - If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599956400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.