This is the position of Librarian (Digital Technologies and Development) in the NASA Astrophysics Data System (ADS) Project, High Energy Astrophysics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The ADS is the primary digital library portal for researchers in astronomy, astrophysics, planetary science and heliophysics. The ADS corpus consists of over 15 million documents and is growing at a rate of several thousand per week.
Learn more about this agency
The incumbent collaborates with the CFA and external users to define, implement and support the services and programs that enhance the research and access to the data collection. The incumbent works to support the efforts of the ADS Library by designing and implementing, new tools, technology and services and will be involved in collection management, assisting with content decisions, documentation and user support.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with senior staff, develop and maintain software tools and documentation for ADS content management activities
- In collaboration with project management and stakeholders, process and analyze data
- Conduct outreach and collaborates with users and stakeholders to understand their needs and provide feedback
- Strive to promote equitable delivery of services through the development of programs and practices which allow the services to support the users
- Maintain current knowledge of emerging trends, research technologies and research services
- Other duties as required
In addition to the duties listed above, duties at the grade 11 may include, but are not limited to:
- Make recommendations for new and creative approaches and methods to manage, analyze, and report acquisitions and accessioning of the ADS collection
- Optimize collection management and user feedback workflows using automation
- Participate in the development and improvement of the ADS collection to meet the evolving research needs of the ADS users community
In addition to the duties listed above, duties at the grade 12 may include, but are not limited to:
- Act as an expert in acquisitions and make informative recommendations to the ADS Content and Lead for improvement or changes that are necessary regarding the ADS collection.
- Pursue funding opportunities and/or external partnerships to improve collections or collections-related activities
- Lead the planning and the development of digital outreach initiatives
- Serve as an expert resource on issues related to copyright and licensing
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599940000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.