The position is located in the Division of Intramural Research (DIR), Office of the Scientific Director (OSD), Animal Program (AP).Learn more about this agency
As a Supervisory Veterinary Medical Officer, you will:
- Advise the Scientific Director and Institute Director on animal care, use and welfare issues which affect the Institute.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of federal and state legislation affecting the use of animals in biomedical research, and guide the Institute through compliance with federal and local regulatory controls regarding animal care and use.
- Oversee all laboratory animal care and research programs supporting investigations into the mechanisms, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of environmentally based diseases.
- Manage a program to provide and maintain high-quality laboratory animals and experimental services to intramural research scientists.
- Serve as an Institute specialist and advisor on programs of animal care and use, and serve on high level committees addressing various issues relating to animal care and use.
- Conceive, plan, conduct, and coordinate independent and collaborative studies that pertain to animal husbandry, disease diagnostics and treatment, mating systems, colony management, technical and surgical refinements, and environmental control.
- As Director, exercise general, technical, and administrative control through subordinate professional staff; and establish internal policies, procedures, and criteria for determining priorities.
- Guide the continuing education/professional development of the Division?s veterinary staff to ensure clinical competency, research expertise and managerial ability.
- Represent NHLBI on various NIH, PHS, or other government or non-government committees, task forces, or conferences regarding the care and use of laboratory animals in biomedical research and testing.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599851700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.