What General Information Do I Need to Know About This Position?
Salary:Learn more about this agency
Rolla, MO: $77,488 (Step 01) to $100,739 (Step 10).
Lakewood, CO: $84,960 (Step 1) to $110,452 (Step 10)
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
There is one vacancy; however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
Mendenhall Postdoctoral Research Fellowship - Research Opportunity #: S57. Knowledge engineering of topographic features.
We seek a Mendenhall Fellow to advance the knowledge engineering of topographic features in support of their extraction from multiple data sources for representation as a part of The National Map. The Fellow will be expected to investigate specific research topics such as:
- Transferring learning of text recognition methodologies, such as that of the NSF Linked Map (Shbita et al. 2020) project, to topographic features.
- Interfacing machine learning and Semantic Web technologies to create topographic knowledge bases or link to external knowledge bases (for example, LinkedGeoData).
- Matching profile to plan view of topographic features to leverage available training data.
- Managing scale issues in multi-resolution object detection through machine learning.
Proposed Duty Station: Rolla, Missouri, or Lakewood, Colorado
Areas of Ph.D: Geography, cartography, geographic information sciences, computer science, physical science or related fields (candidates holding a Ph.D. in other disciplines but with knowledge and skills relevant to the Research Opportunity may be considered).
Qualifications: Applicants must meet one of the following qualifications: Research Geographer, Research Cartographer, or Research Physical Scientist.
(This type of research is performed by those who have backgrounds for the occupations stated above. However, other titles may be applicable depending on the applicant's background, education, and research proposal. The final classification of the position will be made by the Human Resources Specialist.)
Work is usually performed in an office setting. The work area:
- Normally involves everyday risks or discomforts that require normal safety precautions typical of offices or meeting and training rooms; or
- May involve occasional exposure to a laboratory that involves risks and hazards that require safety precautions.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to occasionally travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599748000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.